Mill Creek - Lancaster County

wgmiller

wgmiller

Caught this article in the Sunday News last week: http://articles.lancasteronline.com/local/4/261983

"This is a limestone stream," Putnam said. "If we can get a gravel bottom, there's no reason it can't hold and produce trout."

Interesting that it's actually a limestoner... Sal?

I agree but that stream is going to take ALOT of work.

Glad to see it starting :)

That is awesome! I hope that works out well for them and they can continue to move further up and down stream.

http://watershedplanning.tamu.edu/media/1319/WIPMillCreek.pdf

There is the watershed plan for Mill Creek in Lancaster. They are going to have to do ALOT more work than just working on Mill Creek. Its tribs are hurt bad also.

Still it is a good thing its getting attention. If they use Lititz Run as a model, we could have another nice stream here in Lancaster :)

Tell them they are more then welcome in Lehigh County....!

Is this the mill creek that runs through Lancaster county park?

This work will most likely improve the habitat for the resident warmwater fish population and any adult trout that are stocked by the clubs. Sorry, this portion of the stream will never be a wild trout stream.

I think your right about that Mike, but no reason it cant hold trout year round with good improvements.

Mike wrote:
This work will most likely improve the habitat for the resident warmwater fish population and any adult trout that are stocked by the clubs. Sorry, this portion of the stream will never be a wild trout stream.

I agree.

People need to "keep it real" when making statements about potential benefits of these projects.

So.......... my question.. Is this the mill creek that runs through Lancaster county park?

Yes, it is the same Mill Creek, although it is unclear to me which section the improvements are proposed for - maybe down where the state stocks it? It has its headwaters south of New Holland; in fact, I imagine that where I grew up eventually drained into Mill Creek, which I don't think I realized until about ten seconds ago. It was stocked by the local sportsman club south of New Holland when I was a kid. The state stocks it further downstream I believe and by the time it gets to the Lancaster County Park, its a warmwater fishery. If you want to work hard enough, you can find wild brookies attached to it, too :)

Thanks for answering my question, Ive tried Mill creek in county park a few but never seen any thing. Hope it gets a good makeover.

Nice to see they are trying to fix this creek. I always enjoy fishing for SMB on a stretch of the creek on Rte 896.

Back