Mildew Wadung Boots

salmo

salmo

I really screwed up. Left my wet Simms wading boots in a parked car during a hot day. Boy, do they stink from mildew. I know that a couple of drops of Clorox in some hot water will do the trick, but I don’t want to wreck the boots. They are artificial uppers and hard “rubber” soles.

I also considered Fabreze or Lysol.

Help!

Have you considered just lettings them air out, outside, out of direct sunlight? Getting gear completely dry usually minimizes odors pretty well.

You can also try spraying them down with a mixture of 90% water / 10% iso alcohol after they have thoroughly dried. This is a trick I use on smelly hockey equipment. Not a silver bullet but works better than febreeze.

FWIW, I don't see a problem soaking them in a very mild bleach solution. This is one of the treatments for preventing the spread of invasive species that most manufacturers recommend.

Yea I don't see anything wrong with bleach. I used to spray diluted bleach on my hockey equipment and put out in the sun every summer when I played.

Thanks guys! Simms suggested 1-2 cups of vinegar in warm water with Dawn dish soap in a bucket. Soak, scrub and let sun dry. Next time I'm fishing in watercress I can have salad.

I will let everyone know if it works. :lol:

hydrogen peroxide (3%). You can get the spray bottle. keep damp and let sit an hour or so.. it will kill microbes and neutralize most smells. It is milder than bleach
Then detergent.

Back