Midges

marcq

marcq

So after watching a few videos about midges I'm trying to make a real good emerger pattern for a wild stream with really slective fish. It seem like they are always sipping them so here a few. I'll give you an idea of what I was thinking. Going from top to bottom in the picture. And sorry about the photobucket link.

http://i714.photobucket.com/albums/ww149/marcQ2/ce05a739.jpg

1. A midge use to swing ang act like its swimming to the surface.
2. One that sits in the film of the water.
- both one and two are wrapped with a single strand of flashaback material to represent a gas filled exoskeleton.
3. Just a olive wrap with gold flash
4. Similar to midge one but it is warpped with a peacock heel that has all the hair off it.
5. Just wrapped with olive pheasant tail.
6. A black spinner. Wings are DNA frosty fiber. I took this from a book on flies for slective trout.
7. Same as the fly five but no flash wing. I have had a lot of success with this fly in recent weeks.

Let me know what you guys think. All advice helps.

Thanks marc.

use them all. they all look good. also try a al's rat too.

They will work. What size are they? I agree with sandfly that some Al's rats is size 20 to 24 are good to have too.

Very nice, Marcq!
Coughlin

Tie one just like number 6, but with the wings going back over the body instead of extending out.

Nice ties...they will all catch fish.

MIDGES-----We don't fish no MIDGES HERE !!!
size 16 is small for here...

They are some really good looking midges. I agree that they will all catch fish. One thing I have been having some success with is adding a clear micro bead at the head of a midge emerger. I think that when midges emerge there is a gas bubble produced during the emergence. I'm not sure what size bead would work for a size 24. Most of the ones I tied were on size 20-22. Just something to consider when trying to change things up.

Thanks for the tip dc. Makes a lot of sense. I'll have to find some.

Try some rs2's. They're quick and easy ties and catch fish.

They look great

ryguyfi - re "Try some rs2's. They're quick and easy ties and catch fish." - isn't the RS2 more of a BWO pattern? Especially with the tails, which promote hydrostatic instability?

FWIW, I've ffished with Rim Chung, the inventor of the RS2, on the SPlatte. This was when he was still working on the RS1.

lestrout wrote:
ryguyfi - re "Try some rs2's. They're quick and easy ties and catch fish." - isn't the RS2 more of a BWO pattern? Especially with the tails, which promote hydrostatic instability?

FWIW, I've ffished with Rim Chung, the inventor of the RS2, on the SPlatte. This was when he was still working on the RS1.
Personally, I think it's all in how you do the wings and body. With a shorter yarn and a less fine dubbing it can work as a midge emerger...

JMO.

Back