midge patterns

M

mattmask

Other than a zebra midge, I don't use any other midges. I was wondering if anyone could share some other midge patterns you use on PA trout streams. Thanks in advance.

Yong special,Al's rat, Al's rat in chartruse,size 20

The most coomon midge pattern I use is simple and effective.
First I strip the fivers off a strand of peacock with a pencil eraser; going against the grain flipping the feather over to get it clean.
the peacock quill makes the body and I finish the fly with a couple tuns of peacock or dubbing.
Peacock quill come died in various colors so you can match whatever color you want.
If you get good enough, you can strip only the amount fibers you need for the body. When you near the head the normal peacock starts up again.

Mkern

can you possibly post a picture of the fly your talking about?

http://img47.imageshack.us/img47/3382/chironimidsrp7.jpg

alsrat.jpg

Al's rat, and any number of colors of zebra midges. A bare hook with a bead and wire rib is said to work too.

by mattmask on 2008/1/14 11:25:39

Mkern

can you possibly post a picture of the fly your talking about?

As soon as I get home and take the pic I'll post it.

Here is the pic.
Sorry it was a quick tie. I couldn't find any one I tied before. The pictures is kinda crappy because I couldn't find my normal blue background.

Attachments

• midge larva.jpg
    midge larva.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 5
I forgot to add that I sometimes finish the fly with head cement or fingernail polish to make it more durable because the peacock quill is not know for holding up well against trouts' teeth. But it is a easy fly to repair. The fly above is a size 20 and probably should have started back further down the bend. What you can't see in the picture is how the quill is 2 different colors 9brown and black) which makes it really look like a natural larvae.

I also though of using uni wire for the body. That is realy durable and it comes in a variety of colors. These flies can be made with no thread at all and are just the wire twisted around the hook.

I do something similar for tying midges. I strip brown, black, gray or white saddle hackle and use the thin end of the quill to wrap the body. You can also use a permanent marker and make the quill any color. The quill gives a natural segmented look to the body.

I wrap the quill on the hook and coat it lightly with Sally Hansens. I put the fly aside to dry and finish all the flies at the end with a little rough dubbing near the hook eye for a pupa, or a little dubbing and CDC wing for dry midges.

I use only the thin end of the quill for midges and I ususally have enough quill rmaining from a long saddle hackle feather to save for tying larger quill-bodied flies.

I wonder if Turkey biots would work similar to the striped peacock quills? Has anyone tried that?

Turkey biots may be too large - you may want to try goose biots though.

You could probably use turkey for size 16 and larger.
But like afish said, goose might work.

Back