Middle Yough

C

chief17

Has anyone been to the middle Yough lately? I typically try to fish it when flows are less than 1100 cfs (Confluence gauge). Other than a handful of days earlier this season, it's only been below that in the past week.

I have not fished it yet this year - because of the high water levels.
I like to see the flows below 1,000 CFS.
And you're right - that just finally happened this past week.
It should be pretty good now between confluence and ohiopyle - although with all this hot weather, you'll want to check the water temps closer to ohiopyle

I'm hopeful that it would be more productive than usual given that the fish probably haven't seen much pressure this year. Not sure how much drift boat traffic they saw.

Well, I don't know how much traffic they saw, but last weekend they "heard" my boat banging off of every rock in the river thanks to the Corps cutting the flow extra early on Sunday morning. Wading guys I talked to all caught a few. We saw almost no bugs & 2 rises all day. Water was 63, probably warmer now. Time's running out there.

Yeah, pretty odd for them to cut it back on a sunday morning for sure.
They used to increase flows during summer on Friday nights for the rafting operators. Then cut it back again sunday night.
Which works out fine for me. I'm off Mondays, and often go down then when it's easier to wade.

My brother-in-law owns a camp close to confluence.
And was down there fishing this weekend - around Ramcat.
He was using spinning gear, and caught nothing.
But said there were a lot of "fly guys" there - and they all were doing pretty well.

Plan on hitting it at some point in the next seven days, will post an update.

ryansheehan wrote:

Better check the flows. It's up again right now.
And more rain forecast middle of next week

dryflyguy wrote:
ryansheehan wrote:

Better check the flows. It's up again right now.
And more rain forecast middle of next week

Hoping Tuesday will be the sweet spot. Looks like it will be below 1000 and not raining until late Tuesday/Wednesday. Fingers crossed.

Yesterday the Casselman was dirty and that side of the river was dirty where it dumps into the Yough below confluence.

Of course they bumped the release from the dam, tomorrow is looking dicey.

542 - looks ok.

Was looking at the flows at confluence not the dam.

ryansheehan wrote:
Was looking at the flows at confluence not the dam.

The below confluence gauge read 1020 CFS this morning.
Should be OK to wade there also.
I look for 1000 CFS - or less - at all the gauge stations below the dam

Back