Mid Priced Rods

T

tyeager

I'm looking for the best mid price rod for the money...I know that leaves a little open to intepretation so here are some parameters....

--4 wgt

--price under $400

--probably 10' because I have a 9' 5wgt that is my go to cover everything type rod

--want 10' for line control on bigger water such as Penns, Little J, etc as this rod will primarily be used for nymphing, although it must be able to throw small streamers and dries

So basically your best do everything 10' 4wgt

Any manufacturer Orvis, Sage, G Loomis, Greys, Redington, etc

My favorite "do it all" rod in this category is a Loomis GL3. Not sure if they still make them or not. But medium-fast with lots of backbone.

The Orvis Clearwater Rods are great rods for $200. I have the 10' 4wt really like it use most of the time

I would check out the 10Ft BVK from TFO.

Greys streamflex 2 is around $280, comes in a 10ft #4.

Orvis Access is at the top of your price range but I love mine.

I have the 10' 4 wt Orvis Clearwater. I bought this rod for the same purposes you are looking to use it for. It's a good rod, but the cork is not the greatest and I would like a faster action. I do think it would fit your needs though. I've used it for nymphing, streamers and dry fly fishing. It performs well using a nymph rig or with a dry fly and it will throw a #2 bugger. I prefer to use large weighted streamers, which is possible with this rod, but better done with a 5 or 6 wt. rod. I would say its a good rod, but not great. I hope that helps you.

PAgeologist wrote:
Orvis Access is at the top of your price range but I love mine.

+1

The Access blows away similarly priced rods from the other major manufacturers. (for example Sage's Response)

But with that in mid, $400 can buy you a lot of rod. Shop around and see what you can find.

You may also want to check out the Swap Forum on this site. You could probably pick up a high quality rod for that price range that may cost you sever hundered more new in a shop.

I have bought through the swap forum before and won't hesitate to again, although for rods I believe in trying to support my local shop and trying to keep the warranty process legit.....

its most likely going to be an orvis access, I just wanted to hear opinions......although there is a Hardy at sierratradingpost that is a heck of a deal (and I can't stop going back to look at it)...even if its not a local shop

If you are looking for mostly a nymphing rod I woukd go with Greys or the TFO. Jmo

Orvis clearwater is a great rod

Love my Clearwater 4 at.

Ive heard great things about the 10' 4 wt. cortland comp rods for just over $200.00. This rod is going to be my next purchase soon.

he Orvis Clearwater Rods are great rods for $200

I agree, although I've yet to be able to really test my new Orvis Clearwater 7'6" 3wt I just got last month. I've tried it out in the backyard, but haven't been able to get to any liquid water yet this year.

Back