Micro swivel

S

Scratch

I ran into a gentleman while fishing this past week that was using a # 14 micro swivel to connect his tippet to the tapered leader he was using. I’m just courious if any one else here is using them for that application and a source that has them in that small size. He told me that it it solves the problem of the tippet twisting using larger flys.

here: https://www.fishusa.com/product/Raven-Micro-Swivels

I wonder if they make them out of foam?

I wonder how much these weigh compared to tippet rings.

And is there an advantage over tippet rings?

tomitrout wrote:
And is there an advantage over tippet rings?

OP Wrote:
He told me that it it solves the problem of the tippet twisting using larger flys.

Bingo. Try fishing a pusher fly in current without something to reduce line twist. When I did, my leader was so wound up I think I could have created a mini power plant if I could have harvested the kinetic energy wound up in that line.

Fishing anything downstream without a swivel can cause insane line twist, regardless if it is a minnow, spinner, or large fly, particularly cigar shaped night flies.

The man was dry fly fishing and I might add doing very well I watched him catch at least 5 fish and I never noticed the swivel. It was the smallest I have ever seen and weight nothing.

I use a very similar swivel when ice fishing. It reels right up in the guides with no issues. I don't find it necessary with trout but if throwing bigger flies for bass, pike, musky, etc I think a swivel would be smart to add!

I’m thinking about looking into them because they look like they may be easier to work with than tippet rings. More to hold on to when tying it on. At my age and arthritic hands I will take all the help I can find. He also said that the one he was using he used since sometime last year.
He said the thing just kind of floats around in the film on the top of the water and never shows any tendency to try to drag or sink.

Scratch wrote:
I’m thinking about looking into them because they look like they may be easier to work with than tippet rings. More to hold on to when tying it on. At my age and arthritic hands I will take all the help I can find. He also said that the one he was using he used since sometime last year.
He said the thing just kind of floats around in the film on the top of the water and never shows any tendency to try to drag or sink.

Go for it. They sound pretty good.

What size are yinz thinking, the range is 1xs down to 4xs

Bass pro has barrel swivels online down to size 24. Not in fly fishing section though. I haven't seen them but do have passing interest. Any one see or use these? Much cheaper too!!

The one I looked at that the guy was using was a size #14. Very small I can’t believe anyone would need anything smaller. That thing was tiny. I would like to see one before I buy it. Looks like each manufacturer use their own numbering systems

Look at Spro brand swivels. Very quality product! That's what I use ice fishing and I've never had one fail.

Would these work for salmon and steelhead as well? I was thinking about putting one in my leader so I don't have to replace a whole leader, instead I just want to get away with adding tippet. I use tippet rings for trout, but I wanted something a little more heavy duty.

For Salmon, I use a size 10 or 12 Eagle Claw snap swivel and cut the snap off. Available at any Wal Mart. I typically use 12-17 # tippet and the tippet is by far the weakest link.

For steelheads, I like these SPRO Power Swivels in #10.
35lb. rating.

Have always liked using swivels and tippet rings. Out of curiosity got myself the 4xs and I can’t believe how small they are. Impressive if they are 20lb test. The smallest ones I’ve used until now are considerably larger (but still pretty small) and are 35lb test that I use on my streamer leaders. Think these 4xs swivels are going to replace my use of tippet rings.

Back