Micro Nymphs

808transplant

This is something I hear more and more about and just wanted to clarify.

http://www.flyguysoutfitting.com/micronymphs.html

When fishing these small nymphs, are all the normal nymphing approaches and tactics the norm? Should i be doing something OTHER than looking for a drag free drift?

808transplant wrote:
This is something I hear more and more about and just wanted to clarify.

http://www.flyguysoutfitting.com/micronymphs.html

When fishing these small nymphs, are all the normal nymphing approaches and tactics the norm? Should i be doing something OTHER than looking for a drag free drift?

Most times a drag-free (dead) drift takes fish. Movement (planned and controlled movement) may work best imitating hatching insects and/or sight-fishing with nymphs. Unless I see active hatch and the fish chasing nymphs or pupa, I DD my nymphs as a Plan A. I may add some subtle movement as PLAN B, and aggressive movement as a Plan C.

My last post on here is gone too but what it said was that even when i'm fishing dead drift i almost always do the old "Lift" at the end of my drift. Lifting at the end of a dead drift is often what makes the difference between catching and not catching , right at that moment when you stop and lift is when most of the takes occur......sometimes.

osprey wrote:
My last post on here is gone too but what it said was that even when i'm fishing dead drift i almost always do the old "Lift" at the end of my drift. Lifting at the end of a dead drift is often what makes the difference between catching and not catching , right at that moment when you stop and lift is when most of the takes occur......sometimes.

Also if you don't lift at the end of the drift it's hard to cast, because your fly is still underwater. :)

Boyer

Matt.......if i didn't know that you know what the "Leisenring Lift" is i might think yer just being a ................nevermind. You're absolutely right if you don't lift your fly will still be underwater. LOL

osprey wrote:
Matt.......if i didn't know that you know what the "Leisenring Lift" is i might think yer just being a ................nevermind. You're absolutely right if you don't lift your fly will still be underwater. LOL

I do and I was. :p

Boyer

Back