Micro Mop fly

T

tctrout

It's always the right time of the year for a Mop fly, but I wanted to share a Micro Mop pattern that I've had success with. I'd love to hear if there are other materials you're tying the smaller mops out of.

Tim

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uc0TwdhrSPU&t=14s[/youtube]

Thanks for sharing another informative video!

I'm surprised we haven't seen someone start selling a dedicated, scaled down micro mop material.

The size of actual mop material is probably the biggest factor preventing me from fishing these things more. I'll have to try tying them as shown in your video but I think there is just something about the construction of the actual mop material that is key to their effectiveness.

You can find the mini/micro mop material in auto stores or in the auto section with cleaning supplies. I've found them in cream, chartreuse, tan, blue and gray. They don't take dye well but you can color them with permanent markers for small batches of flies. These are the ones I tied to use this year caught a few trout and a bunch of pan fish on them.

Attachments

• P4140197_1.jpg
    P4140197_1.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 19
Fly-Swatter wrote:
Thanks for sharing another informative video!

You're welcome, and thanks for the kind words.

Regarding the other comments, the mop/chenille material is definitely killer and has great qualities. I was continually looking for something smaller (i.e. micro) and have settled on this after trying a lot of other pieces. It worked this weekend, as I landed a gorgeous 17" rainbow on it! The Mop has never been a "go-to", but the water conditions and type I was fishing screamed it. After I landed the fish, my wife asked, "Is that the new Micro Mop from your video???"

:)

Tim

Back