Micro fibits

coyoterahn

coyoterahn

I’m looking for any help I can get. Whenever I tie Trico’s I use fibits as tails, usually 3. I continuously struggle keeping them on top of the hook shank and also struggle keeping them “fanned out” as 3 separate tails. Does anyone have a tip or a trick to tie them in? When I try separating the tails with my tying thread they have a tendency to just bend down to the side of the hook. I would appreciate any advice I can get. Thanks.

See if this works out for you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBR86g-eqZ4

Many years ago I put tails on tricos, even separating them. I found that to be a waste of time and effort. Now I don't put tails on them. And I fish over very fussy trout. Others may disagree.

While we all want our flies to look as good as possible, remember that it isn't at all uncommon for there to be variations and "flaws" in the way nature equips the bugs themselves. Accordingly, perfection at the vise while admirable and pleasing is not necessary. I wouldn't sweat the way your split tails come out unless they are so canted off in one direction or the other to the point they make the fly sit on the water in an unnatural manner. If indeed (to agree with a subsequent poster) tails are necessary at all in the first place..

GeneBeam wrote:
See if this works out for you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBR86g-eqZ4

Gene, that was a nice vid for tying this version. I don't have any fit bits but I have a pooch that may soon loose his whiskers. ;-)

Paint brushes can be good sources for them

Aah the pooch is saved. I have paint brushes.

i cheat a little

58-split-tails.jpg

Just make sure your paintbrushes don't have spit ends like many do to hold paint...

I use FOUR Microfibbets, two on each side because they are easier to see when tying in and one can always break off one fiber off while fishing. With four I have a spare… ;-)

Unlike the tier in the video, I don't cut down the 'fibbets length until I am satisfied with the amount sticking out behind the hook and the complete tie in. It is a lot easier pulling them shorter when they are full length than cut close TO length.

Putting the 'fibbets off to the side of the hook shank so the thread torque pulls them on top is the way I go but I instead of using the cut-off tag to split them, when you initially tie in your thread, DON’T cut off the tag when you are done tying in your thread.

Instead, wrap your thread AND the tag back to the spot where you plan to tie in the 'fibbet, TRYING TO keep the tag on top of the hook shank while you wrap.

After you tie in the 'fibbets, use the single strand of tag hanging back there to split them. Because the tag is wrapped BACK to the hook bend, the harder you pull back on it, the wider the tail split will be no matter where they are tied in.

Wrapping back to the hook bend also gives you a less slippery spot to tie in the 'fibbets but when you pull back on the tag that was wrapped back with it, That will also pull back the securing wraps so you don’t see any extra warps beyond the tail tie in point.

Easy peasy and no glue required...

HTH

Bam, your style for tying them in makes some good sense. Thank you!
I am glad I asked the question.
One last thing Bam..... thanks for the fibit hack! ;-)

Another thing that helps is to either put a very small ball of dubbing, or take a few extra wraps of thread at the very back of the hook before tying in the tails. This tends to separate the fibbets naturally. You can do that in addition to any of the other tips mentioned.

I like to put tails on my tricos.
It just seems to balance out the fly to me.
Even if it doesn't matter to the fish, I like how it looks ( which is important IMO)

But I only put in 2 fibbets. I doubt that the fish can count.

To separate the fibbets, I wind a little ball with tying thread right above the barb.
Then tie in each side separately, taking tight wraps just in front of this ball - which splays the tail out nicely at a 45 degree angle

dryflyguy wrote:

But I only put in 2 fibbets. I doubt that the fish can count.

And even if they could, the naturals sometimes lose a tail through misadventure. Trout aren't going to reject a piece of food because it isn't perfect.

Back