Mickey Finn Clousers

dc410

dc410

Spent a little time at the vise tonight and put together two classic patterns: the Mickey Finn and the Clouser Minnow. I tied three different variations of this pattern. I was looking for something a little different to try at some of my SMB spots. Lookin' forward to giving these a shot. Here's how I tied 'em.

Hook: Mustad C70SD Size 4
Thread: 6/0 Light Cahill
Body: Pearl Flashabou
Eyes: X-Small Red Dumbell Eyes

Here are the variations (as they appear in the photo):

Top Fly: Yellow Bucktail/Red Bucktail/Yellow Bucktail

Middle Fly: Yellow Bucktail/Pearl Krystal Flash/Red Bucktail/ Yellow Bucktail

Bottom Fly: Yellow Bucktail/Red Krystal Flash/Yellow Bucktail

I have always enjoyed tying Clousers and with all of the different colors of bucktail, krystal flash, flashabou and dumbell eyes available many interesting variations of Clousers can be tied.

Attachments

• Mickey Finn Clousers.jpg
    Mickey Finn Clousers.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 23
Great looking flies! I love the variation of taking a classic streamer and making them "Clouser style."

TC

Nice looking flies dc, I was thinking about tying this the other day. I fished the Delaware on sat for smb and only got hook ups on Mikey Finns and thought it would have been great on a clouser let me know how they work

Nice looking ties John, real nice. Look forward to the money shots. :)

Love Micky Finns for SM. Been using them for about 42 yrs. Doing them clauser style could only make them better. Nice flies.

GenCon

John, That's my most successful clouser pattern is in the Mickey Finn red and yellow

Thanks guys! I'm more excited about using these now than I was before. My biggest problem right now is do I devote my time to smallies or try to land that 3 foot long carp. This summertime flyfishing is really kicking into high gear for me and we have a great year as far as water levels. So much to do and so little time!

my 2 favorite streamers all in one! gonna have to tie some of these!! thanks for sharing

Mickey Finn is a killer pattern, I use a bead head on some to get them down closer to the bottom. I didn't like the action of dumbell eyes.

Mickey Finn = one of the best patterns for pickerel.

These are cool, thanks for sharing them.
Mike B

Back