Michigan Upper Peninsula Fall Fishing

StudentofTheStream

StudentofTheStream

This is my first post in quite a few years so forgive my out-of-practice posting faux pas. Mods if this belongs in another forum feel free to move it.

After years of fishing Oak Orchard and surrounding streams in New York, my group of 4 is looking to venture out to a new place for this fall. We debated the Salmon River but are opting for a new experience in a different state. We're targeting Michigan's upper peninsula (Pere Marq., Manistee, Muskegon) for a trip likely in mid-October.

We don't have any experience fishing there so we'll likely pick up a guide service for at least a day. Looking for feedback from the community on:
- Which rivers (right now primarily targeting the Pere M.)
- Any recommended guide services for 4 dudes
- Walk & wade opportunities or should we drag a boat/raft along
- Certain times of year better than others (Sept vs Oct).
- Gear/fly recommendations if they're outside the norm (though I think we'll be covered here)

We'll primarily be targeting salmon but browns or steelhead we wouldn't scoff at, though that time of year is likely too early for trout.

I welcome any feedback or tips; including if your opinion is hit the Salmon River instead (we haven't fished it).

I'll try and offer any help I can being from Michigan. The rivers you mentioned are still in Michigan's Lower Peninsula, but great options. I'll mostly talk about the PM since I've had most of my experiences there. September and October are prime salmon seasons but the rivers will most likely be packed. End of September/early October will be probably be best time to go. This is also a great time to target the big browns on streamers, but know they could be keyed in on eggs. As you move into the end of October steelhead season will be starting up. I know the PM can be waded, but dragging a raft will increase productivity and help you escape the crowds. Plus there are plenty of launches and resources available for where to go. 1884 fly shop is my go-to in Baldwin, MI for the PM but PM River Lodge will offer guide services and lodging if needed. These shops will also get you dialed on flies and it sounds like you're covered on rods. I'd say 6-7 wt for your streamer fishing for browns and 10 wts for salmon.

Goodluck and looking forward to the report.

Thanks Geno. Sorry for the confusion i.e., Upper vs Lower Peninsula. I looked at the map and roughly divided the state (north to south) in half for my split but I guess I only split the lower peninsula :).

Are the PM browns lake run or are they river residents? Doing some digging online I couldn't quite tell what to expect and if the browns specifically were "anadromous", coming out of lake Michigan.

September-Oct is salmon season and November is steelhead.

I was there once 10 years or so ago maybe longer and I was there in between those two seasons and it was slow two or three days , I don’t even think we caught one. We left early, a day early and rode over to Erie beating a snowstorm almost the whole way and we just vindicated ourselves by catching a couple early in the morning in the mile Creeks and then heading home l, Frigid cold at the end of the trip

I met these guys in Alaska a few years ago and they’re all from that area and they know fishing very well, I would recommend any of these people.

BBT- Baldwin Bait and Tackle

Luke , great guide

Here’s a guy more toward Grand Rapids

Max wekman- https://werkmanoutfitters.com/grand-river-fishing-report/

It’s a little bit weird of a situation the soil in general is a little Sandy and they get spring water that way , it’s a little Tanic looking that I remember. Manistee is boat water- big. PM decent to wade- think we were in a fly only zone. Betsie and another one that’s smallish I forget the name.

Good luck.

Thanks Geno. Sorry for the confusion i.e., Upper vs Lower Peninsula. I looked at the map and roughly divided the state (north to south) in half for my split but I guess I only split the lower peninsula :).

Are the PM browns lake run or are they river residents? Doing some digging online I couldn't quite tell what to expect and if the browns specifically were "anadromous", coming out of lake Michigan.
River Residents mostly. There are some lake runs that'll follow the salmon up I believe, but mainly residents especially in that fly-only water Acristickid mentioned.

I'll echo what's been said above. When I was last there(fishing the PM and the Manistee), between 5 and 10 years ago I would have said that the fist week of October was prime for salmon. From reports I read after my trips it seemed like the salmon runs started to taper off after that. The way things are changing, the run could be later these days. Best to contact one(or all) of the shops mentioned above. I was always partial to BBT but, all the shops seemed good. Enjoy your trip, that's one of my favorite areas to fish and I can't wait to go back!

My father and I went to the Baldwin area in 2010. We hunted grouse in the morning and fished the Pere Marquette in the afternoon. It was probably around Oct 20th. We did not fish the open water. Instead we fished the Pere Marquette in the special regs area near Baldwin and there was no one else fishing. Every hole was loaded with kings. You can fish for kings or the local browns which were eating eggs behind the kings.

One night we ventured north to fish the Little Manistee. We did not know the area and just stopped at a bridge. There, we caught a lot of small rainbows/steelhead in the 5-7 inch range. There must have been a dam downstream blocking the kings. So do a little homework. By the way the grouse and woodcock hunting was pretty good too on public land. We didn’t use any guides.

I have fished the Manistee several times. I would recommend a boat or getting a guide. The small creeks in the area are very wadeable and can easily be done DIY . Salmon River - I would only do it if I were able to get a pass to the https://douglastonsalmonrun.com

Great Lakes Steelhead, Salmon & Trout: Essential Techniques for Fly Fishing the Tributaries​

Karl Weixlmann (Author)

A good read and it has a section on all the great lakes and gives general seasons of the run per salmonids.

I love Schwiebert's accounts of fishing Michigan. While it's not a how to, it's haunting stuff.

Back