Meck's Orange Caddis Larva Pattern, effective on central Pa Streams?

tabasco_joe

tabasco_joe

This is a part question, entomology and part fly tying question. I recently viewed Meck and Stroup's DVD and noticed Meck's orange caddis larva pattern. I believe it's supposed to represent the larva of the Little Black Sedge. While I believe I've noticed Little Black Caddis along many central Pa streams I don't recall seeing an orange larva. So the questions are am I right in observing the adult along streams like Penns, Middle Creek, etc.? And is the pattern effective? It looks like a simple pattern for a beginning tyer like myself. Is the Little Black Sedge a fall emerger?

its used to mintate the october caddis larva on Spruce creek . Unless you gots some bucks and or connections its pretty much a useless pattern on other water .. MY guess is the octr caddis was transplanted from out west to hear , and it really never took great on spruce any ways ..

On some WEB sites the Little Black Sedge and the Little Black Caddis are the same family and on others they are different. As Ranger said the Little Black Sedge is listed as a mid-west/western fly. The Little Black Caddis is often listed as covering our range and being a spring emerger. Some list the LBC as being a pink larva and others an orange. Anyway I think I'll tie some up and try them.

Anybody have a picture of Charlie's Holy Orange Larvae?

Does it look anything at all like this (a Breadcrust nymph)?:

http://www.flystore.net/Breadcrust.jpg

I really don't see how it can matter. These are trout we're talking about, not doctoral candidates at Stanford.

Of course they'll eat something orange if it looks buggy.

And why shouldn't they? They have brains the size of a lima bean.

Umm, unless we are talking about brown trout, then it's aboutg two lima beans or a brook trout brain, which would be about the size of a withered pea, and so on...:)

Wouldn't an orange caddis larva pattern be pretty close to being an egg pattern? Especially if you tied the "larva" pretty short and fat? :)

Trout do like eggs, even the Stanford graduates, or Lock Haven graduates for that matter. :)

RLeeP wrote:
Anybody have a picture of Charlie's Holy Orange Larvae?

Does it look anything at all like this (a Breadcrust nymph)?:

http://www.flystore.net/Breadcrust.jpg

I really don't see how it can matter. These are trout we're talking about, not doctoral candidates at Stanford.

Of course they'll eat something orange if it looks buggy.

And why shouldn't they? They have brains the size of a lima bean.

Umm, unless we are talking about brown trout, then it's aboutg two lima beans or a brook trout brain, which would be about the size of a withered pea, and so on...:)

The problem is there are too many days I come up a few lima beans short. I'll tie one up this week and submit a picture.

Back