Mechanicsburg/Camp Hill Field & Stream Store

Night_Stalker

Night_Stalker

I just read this about the planning of a Field & Stream Store going into the Capital City Mall (Mechanicsburg/Camp Hill, PA).

Hopefully it is a positive thing for region.

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2014/09/lower_allen_township_commissio_46.html#incart_river

It appears that there are 3 in Pennsylvania already out there (2 of them are currently having grand openings). Any comments from people who have one of these stores in there back yard? It may be too early to tell. Big box stores...

http://www.fieldandstreamshop.com/

Their facebook page shows some store images that make it look like a "good thing".

I certainly don't mind having one near by [cranberry]. For fly fishing supplies its useful for the basic stuff if you are in a pinch and their close by. I still prefer driving the extra 20 min to visit the fly shop in the area. But outside of the fly fishing its great having an outdoors man store. Cranberry twp is not an area where you have many options for this type of thing so i do enjoy having it as an option for the selection it offers for all outdoor activities.

I also live in the Pittsburgh area and have been to the Field and Stream in Cranberry multiple times. It's a pretty cool store, very similar to Bass Pro Shop, on a smaller scale (sorry, no fish tanks for demos). As for the fly section, the rods and reels are pretty much all on the higher end. They carry Sage, St Croix, Greys, etc. They also have a nice fly tying section, and if you catch them at the right time, great sales on waders/boots. Last winter my buddy got a pair of Simms G3 waders for $375(retail $500). During the same sale I got my Redington Sonic Pro waders for $225 (retail $300). It's a cool store to check out, especially if you don't have a lot of options in your area. But like chris234, I like to support the local shops as much as I can.

I've been in the cranberry store several times.
Nice selection of gear - although the prices seem a little high IMO.

I like them for the hours. I think they open until 9PM on weekdays and even 8PM on Sunday. With my work schedule could only get to a local fly shop on the weekend when I'd want to be on the water.

The selection is pretty nice too, and their fly tying supplies are cheaper than Gander Mountain and Cabelas.

I'm going to go visit the Washington, PA store shortly and I'm going to see if they cut back at all, as I was actually surprised how much flytying stuff the Cranberry had (and still has, given a niche hobby it really is...).

I'm about half-way between the two, so also surprised they are opening another store already in SW PA.

Back