Mayfly I.D. South Central PA

C

CoonWobble

Hi all. First time posting on this site but have been lurking here for some time.

I visited my favorite stream last Saturday and had the fortune of running into a decent amount of activity. I am hoping someone can ID this fly for me. These were bigger than the flies I am used to seeing this time of year. I'd estimate they were up to a size 14.
These bugs seemed to be dipping the water to lay eggs. While fluttering they seemed to be a brown/gray color even though the image looks dark. Fish seemed to be keying in on the emergers at the tail of riffles and were easily fooled by both PT and turkey tail nymphs fished just below the film.

Thanks in advance! Tight lines!

CoonWobble

Attachments

• 20200409_120843.jpg
    20200409_120843.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 8
Looks like a Quill Gordon (Epeorus pleuralis)

Pic below from Troutnut

Attachments

• Quill Gordon.jpg
    Quill Gordon.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 7
I don't know as to the ID, but if you came across a fishable emergence of Quill Gordon's that speaks very highly indeed of the stream in question. More photos would be much appreciated. And nice work on figuring out how to get hooked up.

I agree with Quill Gordon, especially if the duns had two (2) tails rather than three. Generally they require highly oxygenated and clean water.

Thank you for the responses everyone!

This was in the headwaters of a class A stream which has very good water supporting brookies, wild browns and a few wild bows in the lower reaches. Caddis and BWOs were active as well making for great fishing.

I believe the fly had two tails but unfortunately I do not have any other photos.

Thanks again!

CoonWobble

Back