Mayflies at the ATM

caddisflyer

caddisflyer

Mayfly hatch2

Definitely Susky. So many you can't use the card reader. Only thing I'm seeing here is stenos on the back porch.

Quite a variety! What do all the entomology experts see?

The Susquehanna is a bug factory!

I've stopped at gas stations near the Susquehanna on summer evenings and the amount of bugs was crazy.

Are there any other rivers in PA that produces bugs in such amazing quantities?

I've stopped at gas stations near the Susquehanna on summer evenings and the amount of bugs was crazy.

Allegheny produces a lot. My brother used to live on the Allegheny. I remember visiting once, and his house was covered. Looked like mostly sulfurs and mahoganies.

Clarion River used to have a ton of caddis. It probably has even more now, but I haven't been there during the hatches in a long time.

Lake Erie produces a ton of them starting in June. There are so many that they show up on weather radar.

How do these compare to the Susquehanna? I don't know. The photo in the OP is very impressive.

Dear troutbert,

It's not in PA but the Beaverkill gets swarms of caddis in late April and early May.

When I worked for the CAT dealer up there every spring several truck tractors would get towed to our shop to get the caddis pressure washed out of their radiators. Truckers would have to shut down on RTE 17 because their rigs over-heated when they hit the caddis swarms.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

^^ +1
The shad caddis can often look like whiteout conditions as you're driving over the river. They're awfully greasy and don't come off the windshield easily too

PENN DoT had to close the Wrightsville-Columbia bridge over the mighty Susquehanna back in 2015 because of a mayfly hatch. One evening a guy on a motorcycle wiped out in the bugs (nasty road rash, I'm sure) and they started closing it on subsequent evenings for a few days after that because the flies were like a snowstorm.

PENN DoT had to close the Wrightsville-Columbia bridge over the mighty Susquehanna back in 2015 because of a mayfly hatch. One evening a guy on a motorcycle wiped out in the bugs (nasty road rash, I'm sure) and they started closing it on subsequent evenings for a few days after that because the flies were like a snowstorm.
I have seen cars parked along the lower Susky all night that were so covered, you could barely make out the car or color in the morning

^^ +1
The shad caddis can often look like whiteout conditions as you're driving over the river. They're awfully greasy and don't come off the windshield easily too
one evening on my way home from the west I hit a heavy shad caddis near Jaws and had to stop the car, wipers couldn’t clean them off the windshield. Luckily I still had a scraper in my back hatch literally had to scrape em off. Worst part was I didn’t get home till 1AM so just crawled into bed. Next morning I went to scrub the mess off and some paint came off my Mazda in really heavy bug spots ;)

Back when I was working, I had a lot of business in Towanda. During the hatch, the whole town was literally covered with white flys

The midges coming off Lake Erie on the Cleveland lakefront …. Just ask
Joba Chamberlain … during the 2007 ALDS

Back