Maybe some brook trout answers...

Pretty cool. I have a 1972 first edition copy of Squaretail, by Charles Kroll. Honestly though, this is more of a collection book than anything else.
I think The Vanishing Trout, by Charles Lose, is much more informative regarding the brook trout in Penna. It has some really neat old stories of big natives.

Thanks for mentioning this ... I had not of heard of it.... have ordered it, should have it soon... thanks again..

k-bob wrote:
Thanks for mentioning this ... I had not of heard of it.... have ordered it, should have it soon... thanks again..
I had ordered it and it arrived today. Looks like a great book, can't wait to get into it.

I skimmed through it at the bookstore. The PA section that I read through was kind of disappointing. Seems like the writer had very little experience with PA streams and their designations. Came across as the author seeming to think wilderness trout and a few other designated sections are the few places brookies hold in the state. Didn’t really have a real good grasp on the fact that there are thousands of miles of class a brookie streams. Maybe it was just a cursory read, and I may have missed some key pages. It was a beautiful book, and hopefully I am wrong about the singular excerpt I read, but if the author did that little research to bungle PA brookie territory that much, it might make me put a little less faith in the rest of the locations he covers.

What are the brook trout questions?

klingy wrote:
I skimmed through it at the bookstore. The PA section that I read through was kind of disappointing. Seems like the writer had very little experience with PA streams and their designations. Came across as the author seeming to think wilderness trout and a few other designated sections are the few places brookies hold in the state. Didn’t really have a real good grasp on the fact that there are thousands of miles of class a brookie streams. Maybe it was just a cursory read, and I may have missed some key pages. It was a beautiful book, and hopefully I am wrong about the singular excerpt I read, but if the author did that little research to bungle PA brookie territory that much, it might make me put a little less faith in the rest of the locations he covers.
No klingy, I also picked up on the lack of mention of Pa being a serious stop for native brook trout enthusiast. Otherwise, the book seems to be very informative on the trout themselves, and has great photography. I'll actually start reading it tonight. Either way, I'm happy to add it to my collection.

I like the Squaretail book because of its ideas about brook trout in Maine, Vt, NH. ... places I have never fished.

If you want to learn bout PA brookie fishing, getting both Landis Trout Streams of PA on streams, paired w the Orvis Guide to Small Stream Fly Fishing on how-to, would be much better.

I have the book and have enjoyed it. I have fished more then half of the locations discussed in it and found it on point. There's no real spot burning, you'll have to put some effort into accessing many of the distant or remote locations. I think the goal of the book is to raise interest/awareness in wild brook trout to build support for protection. The author is a native fish advocate and there is a conservation message (but its not overbearing). It got me stoked to revisit some of the places the author describes and check out the ones I haven't visited yet. There is a very short but accurate discussion of PA wild brook trout water. There is also a short feature on Big Spring that at first I didn't think was all that accurate. But a second read through it has changed my mind. If you have an interest in native brook trout the book is worth a read. My favorite line so far is: "Brook trout are a unique fish living in a complex and rapidly changing world. They are remnants of a time when what swam in our rivers, streams, lakes, and ponds belonged there." That resonates with the reason I fish for them.

klingy, maybe the reason few anglers considers PA a brook trout state is that we treat them like they are nothing more than a cold water panfish. Hopefully this is changing.

KenU wrote:
klingy, maybe the reason few anglers considers PA a brook trout state is that we treat them like they are nothing more than a cold water panfish. Hopefully this is changing.
I hope it's changing as well. The native brookie deserves a certain amount of respect, being our state fish. This is from the author of the book Squaretail. Not quoted verbatim, but it sends the message.

"Wild native trout in natural environs are something truly special. It's not size, numbers, or degree of difficulty, it's much bigger than that, and something you can't understand until you have found it".

I couldn't describe the pursuit of natives any better.

KenU wrote:

No doubt ^

I've always thought it is sad that brook trout are now relegated for the most part to small acidic streams where brown trout cannot survive. They really don't have much a chance to grow big in that environment. I can only imagine what it was like when they were king and swam in all the bigger coldwater streams and rivers in PA.

wildtrout2 wrote:
KenU wrote:

I hope it's changing as well. The native brookie deserves a certain amount of respect, being our state fish.

Does respect mean good management?

If so, respect would begin with ending stocking over native brook trout.

Stocking hatchery trout over native brook is very widespread in PA, and causes serious harm to the native brook trout populations in those streams.

But it's resource first according to PFBC! Oh wait, resource = stocked fish = license sales = $$

troutbert wrote:
wildtrout2 wrote:
KenU wrote:

I hope it's changing as well. The native brookie deserves a certain amount of respect, being our state fish.

Does respect mean good management?

If so, respect would begin with ending stocking over native brook trout.

Stocking hatchery trout over native brook is very widespread in PA, and causes serious harm to the native brook trout populations in those streams.

Everyone is right above ^

The brook trout does not get the respect it deserves.

But respect begins with the anglers, and many anglers prefer to catch stocked trout.

The PFBC policies mirror the desires of anglers, since they are the ones that fund the commission by their purchase of a fishing license.

And if the FBC no longer stocks a popular stream > some co-op or fishing club will stock it anyway.

Change policies?? >>> Change angler's attitudes

Back