maxima leader kit

TWEEK

TWEEK

what color is best for all around? I primarily fish small mountain streams. thanks

I twist my own with maxima chameleon up to .010 and then your favorite tippet material. I found the recipe in Borger's book but the basis is you can go down 1/3 in diameter without hinging issues.
If you google borger and leaders it should come up.

isn't the chameleon the darker line...won't the trout see it? just wondering im new at this leader tying. thanks

I've recently started tying my own leaders as well; I like them :). There are many leader formulas out there, and it is fun to play around with them.

Yes; maxima is the brown stuff. If you see hand-tied leaders sold at fly shops, the brown line you see tied into the first few sections of the leader is Maxima Chameleon.

As far as I know, the brown color of the maxima does not pose a problem. The last sections of the leader are typically tied with clear tippet material, which is less visible to the fish, and more importantly, is supple enough the help with getting draft-free drifts.

I use the brown stuff. It's just the butt and taper, you still put a few feet of clear tippet on it. Doesn't seem to bother the fish.

have used both chameleon as well as clear. does not seem to be a problem. granted. situations at times will call for a clear tippet, especially in low clear water over very selective trout. i have found that tippet after several fish have been caught seems to stretch and does not lay flat on the water. it becomes visible to the eye. this will definately reduce hook ups. replace tippet and problem is solved. does not seem to be a problem in faster water. sometimes still water can be tough with any leader.

here is a very simple midge leader 10 footer.
ty using double surgeons knot.

12 inches .013
48 inches .010
48 inches .007
12 inches .004

you may add a few exta inches on the tippet.

cut your line a inch longer on the butt and tippet. 2 inches longer on the 4 ft. sections. this will allow for loss.

been building leaders since 1986. selling them commercially. the all brown maxima chameleon has been the best seller. (worldwide). don't know why. but they seem to please the fishermen. 5x is the best seller.

Good stuff Maxima

Maxima comes in Ultragreen (the green tinted, almost clear) and Chameleon (the brown tinted)

Chameleon is sligthly stiffer, more resistant to abrasion, and when stretched goes straighter.

Chameleon tends to sink a little more readily than Ultragreen. I often add floatant to the butt section near the line to help with this.

All of the Maxima measure slightly larger in a micrometer than their labeled size.

I would buy a Chameleon kit, and a few spools of 4X, and 5X Ultragreen as tippet for your small brook trout streams, as well as some Climax 3X, 4X, 5X and 6X for more "challenging" situations.

You may want to consider just getting spools if you are strictly after trout, since .017 is the biggest you are likely to use. Obviously if you found a deal on a kit that changes things. I once picked up a whole bunch of clearance spools at Gander Mountain at .99 each, but that was some years ago.

Some brands do not hold up to being knotted to Maxima. The Maxima cuts through them. I find Climax (made by Cortland) the best of the softer tippet when it comes to going well with Maxima.

Good luck.

Maxima Chameleon is stiffer, ultra green softer..I don't use Maxima for my tippet, only butt and mid..Right now I'm fishing Orvis mono tippet materails..From what DGC stated above I may give Climax a try..I haven't noticed orvis slipping persay, but think I'll give it the pepsi challange any way..

Maxima Chameleon for the butt and mid section, Rio for the tippets.

hey max , whats your simplest nymph leader formula for a short one say 6' (small streams )

I used to use the climax, and it's alright. Lately I've used the Rio powerflex and like it a bit better, it does fine when knotted to maxima chameleon. I'm not a fan of the Orvis tippets.

Simplest leader formula for nymphing larger water is pretty much 7 feet of 2x tippet material followed by a few feet of your choice of finer tippet. For small streams I'd stick with the taper though. Don't really need a taper if nymphing is all your gonna do, and a flat thin leader sinks a lot better.

Back