Materials shortages coming, are you prepared?

tabasco_joe

tabasco_joe

There are a lot of reports of materials shortages starting to hit the fishing goods industry. I'm seeing this with some fly tying materials and certain lines. I know it feeds into the shortage but might be best to have a little extra of that favorite tippet material or synthetic tying material.

i feel like it was already here. It took me AGES to get a couple wapsi materials to the point i was popping into shops when i was in the area with a list. and my favorite carded angora yarn in all the great colors has been swiped since before last fall, let's hope i get some more before next season but the colors i have are decent i suppose.

decent vendors

Fly Fish Food
South Dakota Angler
Tactical Fly Fisher
Competitive angler
J. Stockard if you're in a pinch

What's up? Are they all stuck in the Suez Canal?

troutbert wrote:
What's up? Are they all stuck in the Suez Canal?

Some is due to covid shutdowns at manufacturing plants.
Raw materials shortages.
Some is due to the shipping delays in the pacific. Partially covid related.

For various reasons there are also price increases coming.

I don't think the Suez blockage had much effect unless shipping to/from India, eastern Africa, or Persian Gulf states.

Its all BS like all the other 'shortages'

Fake news

Not bs, not really suez canal either. Covid and in some circumstances the winter storm in Texas.

Covid shut down lots of manufacturing (for lack of a better term) throughout the world. It wasn't noticed immediately (except toilet paper) because of current inventory. Eventually there was bound to be a gap between existing inventory and new production. For items that had components that needed manufacturing (again for lack of a better term) in texas the winter storm there acted as a double whammy. Google plastic resin force majeure as an example.

Anyone check the price of steel lately, or maybe the price of lumber? A sheet of osb is pushing 50 bucks in some areas. Shutting down the entire economy doesn't come without cost.

timmyt2 wrote:
Its all BS like all the other 'shortages'

Fake news

I run manufacturing projects in China.
It's not fake news.

I guess there is something to be said for never buying one of anything. I have LOTS of spares of just about everything I use fishing-wise.

Life taught me that lesson...!

I may not need tippet material, fly tying thread, hackle, dubbing, feathers or fly lines for 20 years or more so if anyone gets desperate and doesn't mind a little gouging...

;-)

If worse comes to worst I got a yard full of night crawlers.....

Not to mention real cicadas in a month and Spotted Lanternfly a few months after that!!

Never a shortage of roadkill. Go organic not synthetic. If you don’t retch or gag it’s still usable. Two grey squirrel carcasses for me today and no shipping or tax to cry about????
Way too bruised to grill however.

You kidding me! Get some more increase! You deserve it, you fish!

Be happy, you lucky bastard! Fight the smell of taint. You smelled it too long/ Hareline, well , yeah, hookers with a smile, oh yeah, Bill Keough, what happened.

Too bad you got lost in the shuffle! That be the ring of friends. I know, friends no good, losers!~ Wrong brother, i lost, with respect to friends but gained from that respect!

Yeah, we talked a long time ago. When we were young, cool and hard! Billy, i am still hard but not young and most of all cool!

Maxima12

Tell everyone there's a shortage of jobs do they all rush out and get one!

tomgamber wrote:
Tell everyone there's a shortage of jobs do they all rush out and get one!

That made my day. LMAO :lol: :lol: :lol: GG

Yeah, I'm in that, "Hey man, ya got any 3" chlorine tabs man?" mode right now...

My problem is my pool took a dump but I got lots of 3" tabs.
I'm in the "can you come install a new pool" mode.

Back