materials for nymphs

troutmagnet

troutmagnet

Strung Peacock Herl, 5 - 7" - small pkg.
Hare's Ear Plus Dubbing - hare's ear
Hare's Ear Plus Dubbing - olive
Ringneck Pheasant Tail Pair - natural
Ultra Thread 70 denier - gray brown
Ultra Thread 70 denier - rusty brown
Ultra Thread 140 denier - black
Ultra Thread 140 denier - white
Ultra GSP Thread - 100 denier - white
Hare's Mask, Grade #1 - natural
Lemon Woodduck Flank Feathers
Dazzle Brass Beads - fluor. orange -
Ice Dub - peacock
Krystal Dub - hare's ear
Thin Skin - black
Peacock Eyed Sticks - natural
Dazzle Brass Beads - fluor. orange
Ultra Wire Medium Size - black
Ultra Wire Medium Size - red
Crazy Legs - black / red
Stripped Goose Biots - brown
i also have lead and copper wires and the main stuff.... what else would you recommend, i will prolly order from js stockards, were do you order from that has good prices?

hooks? what do you have?

i have nymph hooks, size 12, 14 and 16. i have scud hooks, size 12 and 16 fo hooks.

what you want for basic nymph hooks:
Standard Length Mustad 3906
1 x long Mustad 3906B
2 x long Mustad 9671
3 x long Mustad 9672
4 x long Mustad 79580
these are generally straight shank preferably with a perfect or sproat bend{so you can slip beads on em if thats what you desire}
also
Scud/Shrimp
you can also go smaller with these for midge larva as well.
if you want to do soft hackles...
10,12,14,16 Mustad 94840, 94842, 3906, 3906B
, now as my stockpile wears down im going to Daiichi .

What nymphs?

You could get by in life with two: Hare's Ear and Pheasant tail. Black thread, dubbing, hare's mask (I cheat, use either lemon mallard or some deer hair), herl, copper wire, gold tinsel, a turkey tail for the wing case.

I wrap amber or bright green dubbing on a hook for a caddis larva. I rib with wire. Two more materials.

I've been known to make a scud. Scud back. One more material.

You want a prince nymph? Sure, why not. Brown and white biots. Two more materials.

You've come this far in life, might as well add "soft hackle wet fly" to yoru collection. Partridge, full hide is better but costs more so maybe just a bag. One more material.

Add beads if you feel its neccessary. Add lead if you feel its neccessary. Uh, .20 diameter, I think? I own a baggie of bright "hot spot" beads. I can't be assed to use them. If I use a bead, its brass. That's flashy enough.

Ice dub is one of those clever things, you can put it into funny places. A bag of the clear/white/whatever you call it is nice, but not ultimately neccessary. The peacock ice dub? Who cares. Wrap a herl.

Keep it simple. Fish aren't impressed that you can tie over 9000 patterns, and you'll just get lost in the mess if you try. You can stand there, streamside, looking at your box and mulling over 100 variations of the same damned thing, or you can pick "pheasant tail, size XX" and move on with your life.

The 3 P's of nymphing materials is just about all you need.

Peacock
Pheasant
Partridge

Hares ear is a must, but it doesn't start with P.

Get to tying and show us your ties. We'll show you how to improve them.

Dryer lint and cat hair are must haves.

What streams will you be fishing? You should add size 18 hooks to that collection. Depending on where you fish you might well have to consider smaller flies in the 18 - 20 range. Nymphs in that size range aren't fancy and don't take a lot of material. Some are tied with just thread.

Bruno wrote:
Dryer lint and cat hair are must haves.

Watch out for the guard hairs in the dryer lint. Never know where they came from. Lets just say I wouldn't be licking my fingers to twist on the dubbing... LOL.

ok i am gonna tie pts and hares ears. I have watched videos on tying those nymphs and differnet variations. i have tied san juans glo bugs( i can tie a size 16 really good) and greenie weenies. i am gonna order soon then i will be tying nymphs, but dont you need soft hackles for the prince?

Do you? Wouldn't know. I don't need a nymph other than a PT or HE, remember that part about keeping it simple, eh?

Google says...yes! Fair enough, bag (or complete skin) of partridge, and a cheap China grade hen back in brown. Soft hackles out the wazoo. Next!

haha ok, and my favorite fly is a pt bh size 14 and 16...... i kill trout on those so i will be tying alot of them.

Back