match the hatch

sandfly

sandfly

Hexagenia atrocaudata dun and fly to match. hatching for the past week on pine. size 8 or 6

Attachments

• DSCF7077.JPG
    DSCF7077.JPG
    132.1 KB · Views: 18
  • DSCF7101.JPG
    DSCF7101.JPG
    193.7 KB · Views: 4
what is the wing material?
Really nice tie!!

coated raffia

Thanks!
I remember that many years ago I ran into a hatch/mating flight of these on the Manatawny, and couldn't believe there were no fish jumping out of the water to grab them.

Beautifully tied, How does raffia wings effect twisting "let's say a 5x leader". When you say Pine? Favorite "blast from the past", Genesee Forks at West Pike upstream to RT. 6 bridge, Caught beautiful trout on this section. Fished it probably 50 times. Have not fished it in 5 or 6 years Loved bouncing the fly's off the overhanging grass banks.

A nice fish for a younger crowd. My pals are all older now and seem to have lost their " sense of adventure". As I remember, this trip maybe fish a mile. Beautiful in every way!

Maxima12

First, nice tie sandfly!

Second, twisting tippet could be a concern. 5x tippet seems like a mismatch for #8 and #6 hooks. I wouldn't go lighter than 3x. If the fish are hot on big hexes, they won't be tippet shy.

That fly did not represent a 6 or 8. Short shank, light wire, You probably could get by 9253,92553, cheaper and sturdy, Not the hooks of pros but one to be dealt with. As stated I never did follow the others! Length is very misleading. Too much length, too many unhooked. Jorgensen had a nice thought. Hackle pulled backwards and cemented. Clip and leave some tails.

On a 6 or 8 with I would call a full dress. 6 lb. 2x and bigger! 4x leaves to too many possibilities when you question yourself, should have gone bigger, "went deep and could not hold him". Yeah Baby Yeah. Old Joe broke you off.

Not your typical fly you all will find in your box. The man has got a "Goodie". See what I mean, "Your own style". His, not mine! Can I , yes, will I, no!

Beautiful ty brother and you go and go! Now that's a $2.50 fly. The strive, the motive, the pure essence of the ty! The properties, the proportion.

Been some time since seeing an example of this "MAGNITUDE".

Well you Delaware boys, "how bout that one at 7:45 P. M.

Yours truly, with mixed emotions!

Why mixed emotions, Still not enough Gals here and way too many
Annoyamous! Better to get some now, than to never have it!

If any are a school teacher, stop by and give me an idea of Annoynmous spelling. Good for a "good time".

With the greatest respect, to all !

Maxima12

I just looked a little closer. Annoy seems to be cool here! No teachers needed, Annoyamous, weel , who else! Just the one thing you "kick to the side of the road! Me". Just some fun! An old man's blabber is a young mans sentence!

Maxima12

What say you, old timer, Gulf " Charles Atlas", Greyhound! Yep! WE REMEMBER!

Yo sand - is this the same bug that hatches at dark in August on the Lil Lehi?

les
maybe, need a pic to be sure
max
genesee forks ends at rt. 6 in west pike , other wise does not come close to 6

Yes, start fishing there, at the confluence of Genesee Forks and Pine Creek and work your way upstream on Pine to the Rt.6 bridge, just below the old Sylvania Diner.

Back