Maryland Opens Up Fishing and Outdoor Actvities

DaveKile

DaveKile

Administrator
Staff member
Good news for Marylanders: Starting at 7 a.m. on Thursday, May 7, Marylanders will be able to golf, play tennis, go boating, fishing and camping and participate in other outdoor activities. - News Link

This sounds great,I'm heading to one of my C/R stream Fri.

Thanks for the heads up!
I was just planning on going out tomorrow to put a few stockers in the creel for dinner.

I'll probably still avoid the c/r streams. I would imagine they would see
some crowds with this news.

I rarely fish in MD, but that is good news. no reason people can't enjoy the outdoors. If they can survive walmart, they will be just fine going fishing!!

I've been wanting to get to the Gunpowder for a while now. That and allowing other outdoor activities make sense.

Are out of staters allowed to enjoy the great state of Maryland’s fishing opportunities?

In theory, not yet. Anyone coming in from out of state is supposed to self quarantine for 14 days. I know that kayakers, for example, have been turned back at the border by state police (and kayaking has been allowed all along for residents.)

The expectation is that this will be lifted very soon.

Oops, seems I violated a few ordinances Sunday afternoon on the Casselman. You'd think they would have warned me online when buying my out of state license that I couldn't currently use it.

albatross wrote:
You'd think they would have warned me online when buying my out of state license that I couldn't currently use it.

MD DNR has done a very poor job of communicating what the rules are. They pretty much expected people to go to their site to find them, and even if you did, you needed to follow several links. They waited almost two weeks before even sending and e-mail to licensed anglers saying that recreational fishing was prohibited, and even then it was only sent to those who signed up for the e-mail.

Yeah, "ignorance of the law is no excuse" but they almost seemed to have gone out their way to keep people ignorant.

Several of the western states simply stopped selling out of state licenses. I'm not sure why this wasn't done here.

Wait. You want the government to turn down CASH?
Hah! I thought you were serious for a second there.

The good news at least is we’re moving in the right direction.

I am not so sure about the out of state 14-day self-quarantine. I have only seen that required for NY, NJ, and CT travelers.

From the Governor's March 30 order:

Out-of-State Travel. No Marylander should be traveling outside of the state unless such travel is absolutely necessary. Those who have traveled outside of the state should self-quarantine for 14 days.

And as I mentioned above, I know of cases where kayakers from PA have been stopped at the border and refused entry into the state.

What a joke. I see numerous cars with Maryland tags in SEPA every day. Moreover, the governor of Maryland can't prohibit people traversing the State. No governor can regulate interstate transit.

Hence, why I said "in theory'.

It ticks me off the number of people ignoring the rules. Driving to PA is hardly "stay at home."

Back