Martin 67

Baron

Baron

Anyone using these old reels? If so do I want one?

IF ITS FREE. I USED ONE FOR A VERY LONG TIME. CLICKER FINALLY WENT. PRACTICALLY A COLLECTOR'S ITEM.

I don’t need it but it’s about free and I’ve admired them. It would also make a nice hand-me-down reel for grandchildren. Durable.

I got one in the early 80s and it's still in my rotation.

I missed it on eBay. It was the SS AND went for 35. I’ve admired them from a distance and bid to $26 and quit. I’m quit happy with Medalists will save up I guess. I guess I was born too long ago as I prefer the older more traditional look with less bells and whistles.

They run about 5 ounces. Tension for the pawl uses a spring almost the same as the one in a retractable ink pen. A very skinny spindle. For light duty fishing they would be fine. Depends on what you are trying to balance. They have quite a few adherents on the glass board. I like them but don't use them much anymore. JW Young is more to my taste.

Thanks DGC , I didn’t need the 67 but I wanted one because they’re sort of classic and have allot of fish behind them. I just missed and couple more on EBay but will probably stick to Medalists for now.

That’s one of my favorite reels .
I have a very similar Bean angler -1 .

Very fun reel .

Well I Just had a grave dis-appointment. I was getting ready to wind line onto it when my feet snagged the line and it fell onto the floor. Now it scrapes badly when it turns. I think this may have been compromised beforehand. I deep cleaned it and really dis-assembled it. It is like new. I'll be playing around with it, I have my theories. I can't give it as a gift that it was intended to be. I'm putting a newly gone over medalist on the rod. Its a late 50's to early 60's loaded with 4DT w/30' backing. The rod is a fiberglass 3/4wt but is fast at the end. Should be good for the local panfish, pickerel and bass.

Attachments

• IMG_4006.jpg
    IMG_4006.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_4007.jpg
    IMG_4007.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 5
Sorry to hear about the 67 accident. A real bummer. It happened to me once with an old Shakespeare Russell. It likely fell handle down bending the spool slightly. Luckily these blue collar reel spools are stamped aluminum, so there is hope for a fix. Pull off all the line and backing. Slide a wooden hammer handle into the spool gap and slowly work it under the spool handle. Hammer handles are contoured so they work pretty well for this. A wooden dowel would work too. Just keep slowly turning the hammer handle under the spool handle until the spool is back in shape. Takes a while but works. It may never be factory true but you will get it so it no longer rubs on the frame. I’ve done this with 4 or 5 old garage sale reels - Shakespeare, Martin, Medalist and Olympic. They are all usable now. Btw nice looking combo.

Thanks for the help and compliment.

I'll set this aside for a winters night. I also have an Orvis Wye with the same problem and it may be a nice opportunity to use one of my old hammers.
This old reel was so nice when I first got it and cleaned it. Nice feel and nice sound.
I'm curious if this isn't an attribute of many of the Rim Control styles. I have numerous Medalists and none have that issue. All that extra medal hanging out there where it can catch on things. It does seem to be exactly opposite the handle. I'll let ya know. And in the meantime the guy that the combo is going to doesn't know about the Martin and is getting a nice old 1494 with nice new line.

Back