March Browns

O

OldLefty

Fished Pine Creek yesterday and saw a few March Browns. Yes, it's that time of year. So, let's see your March Brown nymph patterns...

Dave R.

I like this one, tied by Kevin K

http://www.danica.com/flytier/kkresowaty/march_brown_nymph.htm

Though I do have more luck with soft hackles. I will see if I can manage some pics soon.

However you tie a March Brown/Grey Fox (i still think there is a difference) I think it is key to have a counter shade on the pattern. Pick up one of those nymphs and compare the back of the nymph to the underside. There is a pretty impressive contract to the color. Dark brown/darkish on the top, and a cream/yellowey under-bod. Check it out! Fish the edges with them. They migrate to the banks when it is hatch time. Trout candy.

I tie a generic dubbed nymph with some turkey pulled over the abdomen like a shell back. I tie in a second piece of turkey about twice as wide for the wing case.

I also like to tie them in generic hare and partridge soft hackles, both with and without the beads and contrasting back.

I am not sure if the contrast matters much on the nymphs, as far as fishability, but I agree with vc that it's significant to the human eye.

The reason why I am skeptical that it matters is two-fold. I haven't had any more success on the two-tone nymphs, and also, using flies that look different from different angles highlights the fact that the fly is drifting unnaturally. My theory is that the naturals don't tumble nearly as much as the imitation, so using a solid color imitates a bug that's drifting with some semblance of control.

Credit to the al's trico guy and his postulations on the now defunct llfs site for that.

I don't recall who coined the phrase tied "in the round" but I subscribe to that theory as Jay does above.

afishinado wrote:
I don't recall who coined the phrase tied "in the round"

Charles Brooks.

How 'bout sharing a pic of the pattern you tie for the March Brown nymph?

Dave R.

I can try to take one next week when I begin my jam tying, but fair warning, I don't have a camera capable of photographing flies well.

I'll bring a few with me next week for sure.

I was just up on the lower part of the Pine Creek Valley and fished the lower part of Little Pine Creek. The March Brown hatch peaked Saturday and Sunday. By Monday, the hatch had really winded down.

still just starting even down there, you were in a pre-hatch. The big one is yet to happen this week yet.

I hope you are right Sandfly. The March Browns are my favorite hatch to fish over. I just thougth that they were coming to an end because they went from huge numbers for two days, to very few the next. Actual, the last couple of days there were clouds of what looked like Grannom Caddis on Lower Pine and Little Pine Creeks.

Apple Caddis are coming off heavy this past week. size 12-14. also a lot of times males hatch before females, usually a few days apart.

OldLefty wrote:
How 'bout sharing a pic of the pattern you tie for the March Brown nymph?

Dave R.

Here ya go (although I doubt it will impress Old Lefty). :)
I like my crawler type mayfly nymphs tied with a bead chain eye and upturned tails to help keep the fly drifting hook upward. For March browns, a basic brown body with some red-fox squirrel thorax and a touch of orange does the trick (#14).

Attachments

• March Brown.jpg
    March Brown.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 4

Bead eyed nymphs. Crap, I can pretend I'm fishing clouser minnows and justify somehow.

What size bead are you using, and is it black out of hte gate or are you painting 'em yourself?

http://i918.photobucket.com/albums/ad26/mbeckley1/2011-05-13_15-19-01_767.jpg

fooling around and i think i will try this one for MB's this year....

Now that's what I'm talking about! Great anchor fly! I'm gunna tie some up for the Jam.

Attachments

• FI's MB.jpg
    FI's MB.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 3
gfen wrote:

Bead eyed nymphs. Crap, I can pretend I'm fishing clouser minnows and justify somehow.

What size bead are you using, and is it black out of hte gate or are you painting 'em yourself?

I'm not sure of the bead size although the ones used on this fly are a bit larger than I'd prefer (I think they make smaller bead chain, I just don't have any). It's factory black. It also helps to use a hook with the long, curved shank style (I forget what this style is called) as this helps create the upward tilt to the abdomen and further helps keep the fly upright.

FYI,

A regular bead and lead tied on the shank of a curved hook such as a scud hook, flips the fly upside down - every time.

Back