March Brown Imitation

W

whtwtr79

Does anyone have a march brown imitation they would be willing to share. I have only tied the traditional style and would rather use a parachute or comparadum for the ease of tying. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Rob

http://www.theanglersnet.com/Fly-Tying-Videos/Archives.asp?section=6&sort=&CurPage=2
there are 2 on this page..I tied one for the swap...it was pretty easy...

I like a size 10 or 12 sparkle dun with a brown thread rib. Grease it up good for a dun. Just grease the wing and let the body hang for an emerger. Tan body, brown tail.

The simple snowshoe emerger has worked well for me too. Brown yarn tail, tan dubbed body either with or w/o brown rib, and snowhoe hare ear tied down wing. The usual tie uses orange thread. Not sure if that helps and tan or gray works OK for me. A giant similar soft hackle can work too.

I love the classic Catskill March Brown ties, but more fish have hit the emergers for me. Dead drift, or even twitch it a little.

Try using tan deer hair for an exstended body parachute pattern #14,12. If you are fishing over selective trout the exstened body adds the extra effect you'll need.

March browns are kind of short and stubby compared to the Drake or something of that nature...not sure (in this case) and extended body is what you want...just my opinion. Look one up on troutnut.com

For the dry, I've gone through many iterations, fooling myself more than I fooled trout. march browns are remarkably humm-drumm underneath. Being that they are so closely related to Grey Foxes, or even ARE the same critter, they are a creamy yellow bug underneath where it counts. They aren't darkly ribbed either, although that looks good and fish don't refuse it from what I've seen. I LOVE deer hair extended flies, but it is darn near impossible to get deer hair of the right creamy yellow color. As much as I wanted a super duper awesome fly, I found that the K.I.S.S. method rules. Just use a sz. 12, 2XL dry fly hook, commonly available. Use a sz. 10 2XL if you think you'll need to mimic the biggest of the March Browns: the Del, Penns, Pine Creek and the like. If you want a bulkier bug with the brown top, you can pull a pheasant tail or turkey tail over the top. That looks great. Performance wise, if you want a better WORKING and looking fly, do what Scott Sanchez does. Put a strip of brown or tan Razor Foam (or use a light color and color it with a brown PenTone marker) over the back of a Comparadun. March Browns are stout bugs. I don't have any trouble dubbing that big of a body, and it's not THAT much bigger than usual, but if you let that foam extend about 1/2 way around the body of the fly, you will get a significantly thicker profile. I don't do it. It doesn't matter to the fish. The sexiest I make those flies is pale yellow ribbing and some wood duck flank in the front of the comparadun deer hair wing.

Syl

Sort of a bundled hackled catskill/comparadun that I have found quite effective;

hook: tmc 100 #12
thread: uni 8/0 lt. cahill
body: hareline dubbin #2
tail: moose body hair
wings: lemon wooduck
hackle: 4 turns each mixed grizzly & brown "bundled" with a figure 8 of dubbed thread on bottom.

posting a couple of images of the above posted recipe
revIMGP1050.jpg

revIMGP1050.jpg

Thank you, Maurice. In all of my stumbling and bumbling in trying to post the pics, I must have tried to post the same pic twice. The second pic was supposed to be a different shot of the same fly. I don't know why I'm having such a problem. Age is a terrible thing I guess.

Cheers, Mike

This is the other pic of the fly:
revIMGP1051.jpg

so will the same pattern work for grey foxes ? are they the same size ?

Yes, I use this same fly for gray foxes. With a few small variations, it's an effective cahill pattern.

Back