March Brown emerger originator

BradFromPotter

BradFromPotter

Anyone know who is the originator of this March Brown emerger. I think it was a guy who worked at Slate Run several years ago.
Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0301A.jpg
    IMG_0301A.jpg
    598.2 KB · Views: 24
Hey, Brad!

Since I was working at Slate Run Tackle back in the later '80's I can tell you that the Soft Hackle Emergers tied in that style were originated by Nick Nicklas. Nick is originally from Woolrich, PA and had moved out west. He guides for Blue Ribbon Flies. Back then he would come back east and tie and guide for Slate Run in the early season until Memorial Day; then, he would head back out west to live and guide. I believe he also guides for saltwater out of Texas part of the year. He no longer comes east.

Some may be under an erroneous impression that another local tier originated these patterns. That would be wrong. Even though a pattern or two or variations thereof are available in another shop these patterns were copied/varied later and made available.

Yes Nick Nicklas is the creator of this pattern and he currently ties for blue ribbon flies. There is a video on their site showing him tie a variation of this fly called the shakey bealeyhttp://www.blue-ribbon-flies.com/how-to/shakey_bealy/

http://www.blue-ribbon-flies.com/how-to/shakey_bealy/

Athough I have no relavent information regarding the fly in question. I will say, many years ago, my brother and I hired Nick to take us Gulper fishing on Hebgen Lake and then down on the Madison. He is a super nice guy. I only wish I were rich so I could have tipped him better. Great flyfisherman from PA, guess we got a few of them!

Got my first one of these at Slate run as well. Great fly. Killer on the down swing.

One of the best wet flies I have ever used, would love a list of the materials :)

They still sell them at Slate Run Tackle, I have some.

They sell a similar type of fly at the General Store Fly Shop in Waterville. The guy who was the tier for this shop use to work at the Slate Run Fly Shop. The Waterville shop sells flies for other mayfly hatches that are tied using that same wet fly style.

Back