Marcellus Shale Panel Discussion

jeff

jeff

I know this is late notice but there will be a panel discussion on MS tomorrow April 20th, 7pm Albright College in Klein Hall (Reading, Pa). All sides will be represented. I put it here as I know more people will see it. If a mod wants to move it than by all means. Thanks.

More info. I couldn't load the PDF too big.

It's happening this Wednesday, April 20, at 7:00 pm in Klein Lecture Hall. See the attached pdf. The panel consists of: Nathan Sooy (Clean Water Action), Tanya Dierolf (PennFuture), Tom Murphy (Penn State's Marcellus Center for Outreach and Research) and a representative of DEP. It's moderated by Albright alum Senator Ted Erickson (R-26 Delaware & Chester Counties). From 1989-92 he was the EPA regional administrator for Region III.

It's a town hall style panel discussion which will focus on the science associated with shale development. With the recent stories in the New York Times, including yesterday's report about a study by Congressional Democrats that shows that oil and gas companies injected hundreds of millions of gallons of hazardous or carcinogenic chemicals into wells in more than 13 states from 2005 to 2009, there are plenty of questions that need to be asked.

PLEASE SPREAD THE WORD!

The May issue of Discover magazine has a very interesting article on Marcellus Shale drilling. It explains the concerns of Pennsylvanians, plus a new concern that I was not aware of - radiation contaminating the water supply. It also describes some of the disasterous effects the drilling has had on some rual towns in northwest Texas. It also describes what may be a substitute to the water slurry used during the fracking process - gelled LPG!

The article isn't up yet on the Dicovermag.Com site, its usually about a month or so behind the newstand issue, that is the last time I checked this week.

Back