Mandatory upgrade.

J

JohnPowers

For years of faithful service I've been authorized/ordered to upgrade. I've made and fished the Loomis IMX in 4,5 and 6 for many years. They were fast in their day. I like a fast rod. In 5 WT 9' for the East, west and main stem in the $800.00 range (preferably less) what should i test cast? I'm 5'8" and 66 so distance is a factor to reach those far bankers. Also, anybody know the Marblehead Shop in Delaware.

Sage One. I own the 9ft 5wt and it is a cannon. That is just my opinion, but make sure you cast one.

Just don't throw away the IMX's. IMHO they are one of the best rods made. I'm curious, why the need for a change? They don't exactly wear out.

Well, my wife thought I deserved top of the line later in life. But, your right, anything I cast will be compared against what I have and if I don't feel it's justified the money will go to waders. Really haven't fished with any other rods. So I'm clueless as to current stuff. I'd love other IMX users to tell me they have used others and the IMX is within percentage points of current state of the art. I use mt 4wt in the lehigh valley and still love it. Thanks

John if you want to cast my One your more then welcome. I am sure I could meet up with you.

Rolf wrote:
Just don't throw away the IMX's. IMHO they are one of the best rods made. I'm curious, why the need for a change? They don't exactly wear out.

I have limited experience with the IMX but the one I fished, I loved.

I've owned two IMX rods, and really liked them both. The replacement for them, was the GLX If I remember correctly. Then the next line was GL3, or something like that I think. Anyway, I'm sure they're all fine rods. And if you absolutely for a need to upgrade, that's what I'd look at.

IMO however, there are so many nice rods available now - at modest prices - I don't think you necessarily have to spend big bucks for a good rod anymore.
My latest purchase, was an echo carbon rod. After casting it at a local fly shop, I was very impressed with it - and its $160 price . It's a 9' 5 weight, and I have no problems covering fish with it on both branches and the main stem of the delaware river - which is what I believe you were talking about fishing above.

John,

You are going to get a ton of advice / opinions on this topic....so here's one more. :-D

I'm not familiar with the Loomis you have and if it was built prior to the glx models, that's several years back. I'm going to guess a majority of rods out there will be faster than yours so be careful what you wish for. I got a sage tcx a few years back. It was awful at distances less than 50' so it wasn't a practical rod to have.

$800 budget means that just about any rod on the market is in play.

I personally like a fast rod with a softer tip. 90-95% of my fishing is on the same river. For dries, I use a St Croix Elite 9' 5wt, Sage Z-axis 9' 5wt or a 1995 Sage RPL+ 9' 6wt that I load with Rio gold 5 line. I have a VXP that just finished being built, Redington CPX 10' 5wt and St Croix Ultra 9' 6 wt. All see some use during t he season but the Legend Elite is my favorite and they sell for $440-$460. The CPX is my rod for fishing indi rigs. I like it and wish they still made it. Many people claimed it was one of the worst rods they ever made. Go figure.

So with your budget, knowing where you are going to use it, I'll recommend you cast these:

Orvis Helios (try both tip & mid flex) Caddis let me use his 9' 5wt tip flex up there and I thought it was very light, fast and capable of long casts. If the rod lacked, it was in close casting but you can't get everything in one stick. $700+

Echo 3. Again, Caddis let me cast it and he wanted my opinion. The 9' 6wt he had felt heavy, stiff top to bottom and unbalanced in comparison to the Helios. I read that they actually perform much better with one line heavier on them. Echo makes tough rods too. $350-400

I also used a Scott G2 up there for a day. I don't believe it's a good all arounder for up there. Slower action softer mid/butt section. With that said, this probably the best feeling rod I've ever cast.

Scott S4 which you can find on closeout for $500 or less. Waaay different than G2. The ol 'shop wiggle' won't tell you much. Felt a little wobbly to me. Load it with line and you can feel the backbone and crisp action. It's a cannon and GPX or Rio Grand line may be needed on it.

Sage one. You're lucky because Shane wouldn't let me try his. I'll imagine it's sweet and pretty close to Helios in price, performance and popularity.

TFO Axiom 5wt is a fast action rod for $275-300. Don't overlook it but don't buy it without a demo cast or two. Not everyone's cup of tea.

Don't look past the St Croix legend elite. Good price point and great performance. You are welcome to demo any of mine.

Never been a fan of Loomis rods so I can't help you there. Maybe jdaddy will jump in with a Winston review. I think he's cast or owned every model they've made over the last 6-8 years.

I go to Marblehead in DE all the time for my stuff. They are always helpful to me.
If they don't have what I want they get it for me.

Hey JP...does your wife have a sister?!

Given your edict, I would make it my business to attend the FFing Show in Somerset, NJ during the last week of January. You should be able to test cast nearly all the rods you may be interested in at the show. Good luck.

Somerset is an annual ritual so I will brows there. I asked about Marblehead because they do have the Loomis NRX in stock. I'm concerned about dumping a wad for just a small improvement. I can feel the difference between my IM6 and IMX. The 6 is too slow. If I felt the same difference between the IMX and the NRX or Sage One that might ice the deal. When we were struggling this never came up.

With that budget I'd throw a Winston B3X into the mix,
Sage Z axis is my current favorite rod but maybe hard to find.

For $800 I'd get myself a decent handmade bamboo rod instead of some mass produced piece of plastic...

He wants to fish with it.....not beat a rug. :)

Damn, you beat me to it. Well played sir.

I would agree. Each brand's "premium" models seem to be either super fast or super slow these days. If you pick the fast end for each brand, they are all likely to be faster than your IMX. If you don't end up wanting something that fast and want to back off to "medium fast", then you're into the "less than premium" models, and your options are just endless and the price points much lower.

For many, medium fast is the sweetspot because they're more versatile, and that means the best rods are NOT the most expensive.

I tend to like fast rods. That said, treating this as fast vs. slow is too simplistic. Tapers vary considerably. There are fast rods I love and fast rods I hate. And there are slow rods I kind of like and slow ones I really hate. And I'm not you. So yes, I'd recommend making 2 lists. Fast and medium fast. Then go to Somerset and cast em.

JohnP - if you have time to consummate your upgrade, the Lancaster Show after Somerset will help you narrow your choices, especially if they again have 2 casting pools. That way you won't have to compete as much for casting time with the pros.

Back