Mallard feathers vs. Wood duck

YoughnessMonster

YoughnessMonster

9 times out 10 I see fly recipes calling for wood duck feathers and I was curious why? Mallard feathers are different but certainly look very similar.

I think would duck is a little more durable. It also has a slightly different color than the died mallard, and a slightly different barring pattern.

way back wood duck was not the comidity that it is now and dying was not what it is today

There is no comparison, really. Lemon woodduck is far superior for winging material , though I admit I wouldn't buy those tiny packs the shops sell and my friend gave me a drake he harvested.

The wood duck feathers are more even on the tips. Just make much nicer dry fly wings IMO. The mallard dyed wooduck is suitable for anything else like tails on nymphs.

Lemon Wood Duck feathers are distinctively barred, and can't be duplicated with dye. They are one of my favorite tailing materials. Most Mallard flank feathers are barred pale white/light gray and almost black. The exception is bronze mallard flank feathers, and I use them as tail material as well. Different color for different patterns.

Ultimately there's not a huge difference and mallard is a substitute.

Besides, if the fish can tell the difference between the two, they surely can see the hook, leader, and tell the fly is fealther and fur; and not the real thing.

tips! if it were about barring we would be using teal flanks.

Another vote for wood duck. I think this whole wing thing especially on Catskill style dries is overblown. I conducted an experiment for one season back in the 70s and found no difference in catch rate between flies with or without the wing.

But they sure look pretty

I agree they look nice. I purchased dyed yellow mallard in a nice sizes bag for 3.00. Earlier last year I had bought a tiny bag with about 5 wood duck feathers and I think it was around 4.00. Thanks to everyone for their responses. I'm still trying to learn some of the ons and outs with material selection

If you're still new to tying catskill patterns I would go with the mallard feathers. Sort through the bag and you'll find acceptable ones for dry fly wings. The wood duck is expensive and I would wait to use it when my skills improved to the point where I was confident and satisfied with the finished product.

Several years ago a duck hunting co-worker knew that I flyfished and tied my own flies and asked me if I could use wood duck feathers. I said YES I can. I ended up with the feathers from 3 or 4 wood ducks. They do make a very nice mayfly wing.

FishingCreekEmerger wrote:
tips! if it were about barring we would be using teal flanks.

If this post was directed at my post, maybe you thought I was referring to "black and white tip" wood duck feathers, most commonly used for salmon flies. Lemon wood duck flank feathers as well as mallard flank feathers are barred.

Nope wasn't referring to your post. I was referring to the one that states there isn't much od a difference. That's why i stated tips. Mallard tips are way different. And the most barred duck feathers do come from a teal. Nothing to do with color or application just referring to the barring. Way darker.

Yeah i have a jar of black/ white barred sitting in a gallon Mason jar. Some day i hope to use em.

Back