mainstream outfitters fly shop

Kyle

Kyle

looking to stock up soon on leader material, tippet, weights etc..for the new year of fishing. and some larger flys for when im smallmouth fishing in the summer. has anyone ever been to this fly shop? its about a 40 min drive for me but i always rather spend my money at a small business then big box store. thanks!

Have you been to Shannon’s in Califon? New owners who are very nice and are reopening after Jim Holland passed. I try to give them my business.

I have not been in there in a few years, but it is not a bad shop and they carry all the brands you'd expect a decent shop to carry. It's a smaller add on to the larger Dave's Sporting Goods next door. I believe it began as a venture for Dave's daughter. Not going to find custom flies or anything like that, but it should have what you need.

Have you been to Shannon’s in Califon? New owners who are very nice and are reopening after Jim Holland passed. I try to give them my business.
thats my go to fly shop. but floating around to other fly shops is nice too. to give another shop the business. i have bought many fly rods from shannons. and jim has given me casting lessons with each purchase of a rod. i was sadden to hear of his passing.

looking to stock up soon on leader material, tippet, weights etc..for the new year of fishing. and some larger flys for when im smallmouth fishing in the summer. has anyone ever been to this fly shop? its about a 40 min drive for me but i always rather spend my money at a small business then big box store. thanks!

I've never been there but I'd take the 40 minute drive to Mainstream and bring the wife...

Doylestown is a great place to visit while you are spending $$$ in a fly shop. There are lots of nice shops to distract SWMBO's and a bunch of nice eateries for afterwards to enjoy.

Also if you like Italian food, check out Altomonte's which you may just pass on Route 611 on the way to Mainstream. The selection of prepared and packaged hard to find goodies is amazing, plus groceries, wine and baked goods to tempt you. You can even eat there or get take out for when you get home.

I do a similar 40 minute drive to Doylestown JUST to go to Altomonte's...

I live around the corner from Mainstream Outfitters and it’s worth the ride. Great selection of gear and extremely kind staff. Family run business with a great feel. Highly recommended

great. thanks guys. i can cross the riegelsville bridge and drive right down 611. ill visit the shop to stock up this year

used to work there, great store. I use to tie flys for the local streams there as well.
That is cool to hear! I have been a patron of Dave's since the 80s, back when he even sold aluminum boats and canoes for the river. Just trying to give the OP realistic expectation based on a lot of experience in the shop over the years. He may very well walk past minnow tanks and have to pay at the register in the tackle shop depending on the day he's there and staffing if I am not mistaken. By a few years, I mean pre-pandemic, not a decade ago that I've been there. Also might find frisbee golf gear and other things. Small shop trying to diversify and survive!

Did you weigh in when the mods were revisiting the list of fly shops on this site. I recall getting some push back that it was not a fly shop (despite what I shared above...). It certainly is that, and a certainly more of a ma and pa than a TCO or something.

I know Dave planned to sell before retirement, so did his daughter take over or a group of investors? Just curious.

Last edited:
His daughter Diane still owns and runs Mainstream. The "Dave's Sporting Goods" part of the business is still in the family, too. I don't know the exact details. Dave is now 96 and still working.

His daughter Diane still owns and runs Mainstream. The "Dave's Sporting Goods" part of the business is still in the family, too. I don't know the exact details. Dave is now 96 and still working.
Awesome. Thanks for the additional information.

That is cool to hear! I have been a patron of Dave's since the 80s, back when he even sold aluminum boats and canoes for the river. Just trying to give the OP realistic expectation based on a lot of experience in the shop over the years. He may very well walk past minnow tanks and have to pay at the register in the tackle shop depending on the day he's there and staffing if I am not mistaken. By a few years, I mean pre-pandemic, not a decade ago that I've been there. Also might find frisbee golf gear and other things. Small shop trying to diversify and survive!

Did you weigh in when the mods were revisiting the list of fly shops on this site. I recall getting some push back that it was not a fly shop (despite what I shared above...). It certainly is that, and a certainly more of a ma and pa than a TCO or something.

I know Dave planned to sell before retirement, so did his daughter take over or a group of investors? Just curious.
I used to race against the girls on snowmobiles. Know all of them since the 60's when the store was on town.

Its a great store they have everything you will need for the whole season.

Back