Maine Fishing

C

Cjs2636

Hi all,

My dad and I have a trip to Acadia planned this upcoming October and would definitely like to get into some fishing while we’re in Maine (although not necessarily in the park).

Anyone have any experience/insight/tips into fishing in Maine that we could use as a jumping off point for our planning? Would love to do some trout fishing but nearly equally love fishing for smallies.

Appreciate any thoughts!

Grand Lake Stream for landlocked salmon. Canal Side Cabins for inexpensive, rustic Maine lodging. Owner, John, is a guide, but you won’t really need one. Stream has been fly fishing only since like 1903. Grand Lake Stream (the town) is like stepping back in time… no traffic signals, one store, blacktop ends in town, good people. Bigger salmon run in October, although possibly more run in the spring. Tell John and Mary at Canal Side Cabins that Keith and Lori say “hi”.

I fished Maine for the first time this year. I went to Kennebago lake and stayed at Grants Camps. https://grantscamps.com

As Kelorgo stated with his stay, it was a throwback to an earlier time. Drive 30 minutes/8 miles on a pothole filled dirt road to the lake. Cabins with no TV or internet. Everyone eats in the dining room at set meal times (don’t be late and **** off the staff) and at your defined table. If you catch a nice trout/salmon the chef will cook it for your breakfast. Each cabin has a boat at their dock to go fish the lake and if you have issues or need fuel you go see the “dock man”. Great river fishing if you don’t want to be on the lake. The main office is on the honor system (just take flies, gear or gifts and put it on a post it note). No sounds at night except the loons. Super friendly owner and staff!

I loved it and will go back next September!! Highly recommended.

I fished Maine for the first time this year. I went to Kennebago lake and stayed at Grants Camps. https://grantscamps.com

As Kelorgo stated with his stay, it was a throwback to an earlier time. Drive 30 minutes/8 miles on a pothole filled dirt road to the lake. Cabins with no TV or internet. Everyone eats in the dining room at set meal times (don’t be late and **** off the staff) and at your defined table. If you catch a nice trout/salmon the chef will cook it for your breakfast. Each cabin has a boat at their dock to go fish the lake and if you have issues or need fuel you go see the “dock man”. Great river fishing if you don’t want to be on the lake. The main office is on the honor system (just take flies, gear or gifts and put it on a post it note). No sounds at night except the loons. Super friendly owner and staff!

I loved it and will go back next September!! Highly recommended.

Attachments

• 5FD6AA00-6822-4877-8BAE-D5B37DC7B5D3.jpeg
    5FD6AA00-6822-4877-8BAE-D5B37DC7B5D3.jpeg
    309.6 KB · Views: 36
  • 80058573-0B18-4656-9DFB-9A415A8CE8A1.jpeg
    80058573-0B18-4656-9DFB-9A415A8CE8A1.jpeg
    319.4 KB · Views: 33
  • EF19C613-FCE0-416F-B0DF-591C28345A23.jpeg
    EF19C613-FCE0-416F-B0DF-591C28345A23.jpeg
    213.2 KB · Views: 35
I would familiarize yourself with the IFW regulations. Their primary trout/salmon season ends Sept. 30th, with some select bodies of water open past that. IFW's website is pretty good to navigate for special regs in my opinion.

If you are going up in October, I believe there are some ponds in Acadia that are open in October, all of the streams in the park would be closed to my knowledge at this time.

In terms of river fishing you do have options, such as the East Outlet of the Kennebec and Grand Lake Stream (Although those two are both about a 2.5 hour drive from Bar Harbor).
IMG 3894

Here's a good sized LL salmon from the EO 10/2019 that I caught on a guided drift.

I have attached a few links directly from IFW with Fall fishing opportunities in both the North/South Zones.

Depending on how you plan your trip whether that's stopping somewhere on the way to Acadia, or making a detour along the way, I am sure you will find somewhere to fish. This past year I did a trip up to Maine to the Moosehead region for 2 days and than Rangeley for another 2 days. It really comes down to how much of a detour you want to make, and how long you want to be driving!

Last edited:
You might be able to get some info at maineflyfish.com . Hope this helps

Guy above mentioned the most important thing - fishing basically ends in September. I’ve fished Maine once but it was in the far north.

Also like the guys said- I went to a camp too. Bradford camps. Highly recommend

Last edited:
Grand Lake Stream, East Outlet (Moosehead Lake) and others are open through most of October.

Back