Made in the USA?

C

CRB

"In a global economy less and less people are being sticklers for goods made exclusively here in the US. But there is a very good reason to buy US made reels that very few people know about. The Pittman–Robertson Act was so successful that in the 1950s, a similar act was written for fish. This one was titled the Federal Aid in Fish Restoration Act. As with its wildlife counterpart, the name of this act is generally shortened by reducing it to the names of those who sponsored it, and so it is generally referred to as the Dingell–Johnson Act.

This law stipulates that reel manufacturers must pay 10% of the first sale to the US government. This provides each state valuable financial assistance for fish restoration and management plans and projects. The sticking point here is that for most of the US manufacturers, their first sale is directly to retailers. For reels manufactured offshore, the companies selling import reels have invented very innovative ways to reduce this “first sale” 10% to a much more minimal amount.

So by buying US made reels, you are not only being patriotic and providing more jobs for US workers, you are also helping support our fisheries. The next time you are out fishing, look around you and realize that you and your gear contribute to sustaining the fisheries you love.

That being said, does buying American make sense? Yes and no. Many anglers are looking for the absolute best reel out there, regardless of what it costs or where it is made. Look at car buyers – a lot of sucessful people are riding around in a Lexus, BMW, Mercedes, Porsche or Ferrari because they are generally rated better than anything from our American manufacturers – regardless of the cost or origin. Fortunately for us, most of the very best fly reels are still made right here in the old USA. "
http://www.yellowstoneangler.com/

hum...........interesting. Any thoughts?

I have 2 SPEYCO reels on the way this week

Just doing my part for the good old U.S.A.

I notice George sells Hardy, TFO, Redington and Fish Pond gear among tons of other non-Dingell–Johnson stuff.

IMHO - Either he has a huge overstock of Abel reels or he is a hypocrite. ;-)

This law stipulates that reel manufacturers must pay 10% of the first sale to the US government. This provides each state valuable financial assistance for fish restoration and management plans and projects. The sticking point here is that for most of the US manufacturers, their first sale is directly to retailers. For reels manufactured offshore, the companies selling import reels have invented very innovative ways to reduce this “first sale” 10% to a much more minimal amount.

Got details?

Is the taxation different on imported gear vs domestic produced gear and if so how, why, etc.?

There is a tax 10% on retail sales of fishing equipment with a $10 cap on fishing rods and components. Also, there is an excise tax on imported fishing equipment along with a aforementioned 10% tax on retail sales.

Scroll down to find details on fishing equipment:
http://wsfrprograms.fws.gov/Subpages/AboutUs/ItemsTaxedJan2011.pdf

afishinado wrote:
There is a tax 10% on retail sales of fishing equipment with a $10 cap on fishing rods and components. Also, there is an excise tax on imported fishing equipment along with a aforementioned 10% tax on retail sales.

So is this statement true or false?

"For reels manufactured offshore, the companies selling import reels have invented very innovative ways to reduce this “first sale” 10% to a much more minimal amount."

He's saying the tax is less for imported reels than US made reels. But is it actually less? or the same? or more?

troutbert wrote:
afishinado wrote:

"For reels manufactured offshore, the companies selling import reels have invented very innovative ways to reduce this “first sale” 10% to a much more minimal amount."

He's saying the tax is less for imported reels than US made reels. But is it actually less? or the same? or more?

The statement above is totally false. There is an import duty paid on reels that are imported plus a 10% tax when it is sold at retail.

Just speculation on my part, but I think "sold in the USA" does more for our economy than "made in the USA." In other words, if retailers limited their sales to items made in the USA, the overall volume of purchases would decrease far below any gain in local jobs. And, concomitantly, the US laborer would suffer through the need to replace inexpensive alternatives with inexpensive American-made alternatives.

afishinado wrote:
troutbert wrote:
afishinado wrote:

The statement above is totally false. There is an import duty paid on reels that are imported plus a 10% tax when it is sold at retail.

Throw a middle man in the equation and it seems to me that it becomes less false. I could be wrong though, but that is what I thought of when he said innovative means once I stopped laughing at the name Dingell–Johnson.

A Cinese manufacturer (could be Merican owned sells it to Jack the importer for $10. He sells it to Sandfly for $100 and sandfly sell it for 102.

Total tax collected under Dingell–Johnson is $11 (first sale $1 and retail $10).

Bikerfish builds a reel in his shop, sells it to Sandfly for $100 and Sandfly turns around and sells it for $102, how much taxes are collected? The answer is $20 because Bikerfish's first point of sale costs him $10.

Given the choice, I'd by the one made by Bikerfish if I had a rod that needed a wooden reel.;-)

I try to buy American when I can, but will admit to owning an Okuma reel and a couple English reels.

I have several reels made in America.

But I bought them used from private sellers and they're over 40 years old. No Dingleberry benefit there, I guess.

Anderson's point is Dingell-Johnson tax revenue goes into a fund to directly benefit sport fishing versus a general tax or sales tax that goes to fund everything else.

Bottom line, $10 in Dingel-Johnson (AKA Federal Aid in Sport Fish Restoration Act) tax revenue gets allocated to your favorite state for fishing, versus $10 in sales tax sent to Harrisburg to **** away on SEPTA.

don't forget theres a 10% tax on fly tying materials and then the fly tied here with same materials and sold at shops.
one reason flies cast more here.
rods are 10.00 each made here
bows and arrows are taxed also.

It only gets to the states based on the number of license sales, so that's part of the reason PFBC and all the other states want to increase license sales any way they can.
Sell 1m licenses it get s you more dollars than .8m.
IT funds habitat.

The best reels are still made in the USA.
Why not buy the best you can afford. You earn it.

RichFishbelt wrote:
better yet,why not buy a reel that matches the fish you catch? A two hundred dollar reel serves what purpose other than vanity unless you are after fish that can make it into your backing?

Quote:

RichFishbelt wrote:

better yet,why not buy a reel that matches the fish you catch? A two hundred dollar reel serves what purpose other than vanity unless you are after fish that can make it into your backing?

Depending how far you wanna go down that path, I assume then that you fish with a simple $6.99 cane pole whenever you're harrassing the trouts? Since that's really all you need and spending any more is just vain foolishness.

yep-been there, done that many many times-then I saw the light.lol

I prefer the best reel at the best price regardless of where it is made. I can afford any reel made but my frugality keeps my vanity in check. Typically this means I buy products made elsewhere since I don't buy into the buy american union hype. Even if I buy Chinese products there are Americans with jobs involved in the process. A fact lost on most buy american zealots. Case in point, I have been looking to buy a Nissan lately and have visited many Nissan dealerships. I have yet to see one japenese citizen anywhere involved in the process. Buying foreign is also buying American jobs.

Back