Lyme Disease

PaulG

I just found today I have lymes. I've been having so many health problems lately and noone could figure out what my problems were.

Last week my Doctor took some blood to do some test to see if we could fine out what my problems were. I ask him to do the test for lymes and it can back positive, so now what!

Has anyone here ever had it? Maybe you could email me and let me know what Im in for. Sure would appreciate it!

Thanks

PaulG

Paul, sorry to hear that. Of course, it could be a lot worse, right? I think one of the fellows on here posted about having contracted Lyme's, but I can't remember who it was. Maybe they will chime in and let you know what you are in for. Get better soon.

It was Joe E.:
http://www.paflyfish.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=1915&forum=2&post_id=15440#forumpost15440

Sorry to hear that Paul. From what I understand, you're not going to be doing much in the future. My dad worked with a lady archery hunter that got it. She was a die hard. Out every chance she could until she got lymes. She ended up selling everything because it was too painful for her to do anything. My dad said some weeks she would call off every day because she was in so much pain that she couldn't really leave the house. I think there are different severities to it though. You might be lucky and have far less pain than she did and actually be able to function somewhat normally. Not that there is anything lucky about it but you know what I mean.

Again, sorry to hear the news. Hopefully things work out and your out fishing soon.

PaulG. sorry to hear about the lyme disease. I hope all turns out well for you. This should be a reminder to all of us to check with our doctors and inquire about the lyme disease vaccine.
Most health plans pay for it and if a lyme disease tick bites you the tick dies and you don't get infected. I know they had some problems with the vaccine in some individuals but I got it about 5 years ago and I've had no problems so far. My Dr. knows I hunt and fish a lot and he insisted I get it. I'm glad I did. Good luck.

Paul,
I found out that I had Lymes in July. Dr put me on antibiotics two a day for six weeks, nocked the h_ll out of it though. I now am back to my normal self (just old). They have some pretty good drugs for it now, but once you have it the test will always be positive even after meds.

From what I've always heard, you're gonna have a bit of a fight in the beginning. Though, it seems like you've been waging that for a while as is. In time, they'll take care of it and you'll be doing fine.

Good luck, and knock the hell out of it.

Sorry to hear that Paul. I have several friends that contracted Lyme disease and they are all good as ever after some anti-biotic treatments. Here is what I found on Web-MD about the treatment:

Lyme Disease Treatment

No worry, you'll be feeling much better, and you be fishing again in no time.

A friend of mine was diagnosed with Lyme disease. It took the doctors a while to diagnose it, and he was having a rough time. But he is now being treated for it, and he's doing much better.

PaulG, Sorry to here about that (unfortunately I know to well). I was on IV antibiotics for 60 day over the summer and last month my rheumatologist drained over 220 cc from my right knee in a 3 day period. I’m back on the IV antibiotics, 30 days down and still having problems looks like another 30 days. Hang in there; I hope they caught it early. It appears from reading and talking to my rheumatologist for some reason if they can treat it within the first year they have better success with the oral antibiotics. I hope the oral antibiotics work for you. If not the PICC line and IV antibiotics are not bad, I just hope we get mine this time if not back to the IV. My problems associated with Lymes: Fatigue, stress, joint pain (ankles, knees, right hand and shoulders, at any given time pain and swelling) and memory loss (short term).

Joe E

Thanks Guys for being there for my Daddy O. Poor guy has been going through hell for almost 2 years trying to figure out what was the matter with him. Too find out it is these little bas$%^#. You guys all need to get that vaccaine and be careful. Now I am getting ready to drag my brother to the doctor's for the vaccaine. After his knee operation tomorrow. He is in the woods as much as you guys are. Be careful and what a terrific group of guys. JoeE thanks for your input and I hope you feel better soon...

Paul G Favorite...

My youngest brother, who is 25, got Lymes this year. They caught it early, and the oral antibiotics seem to have been effective. His major symptom was fatigue; he felt like he aged 30 years over night. All things considered he was very lucky and within a few weeks he was back to his old self. I hope you are similarly fortunate.

A buddy of mine (co-worker, fellow fishermen and best friend) got it this past summer. He had a week or two which really put his @ss on the couch, with high fever (104+ and dripping cold sweats). He was given antibiotics for about a month and a half. Long story short he is fine cause he caught it early. Well since it was work related, he picked up the tick on the job (surveyor) he got workmens comp. Anyways the company that we work for looked into the vaccination and turns out. the vaccination is no longer available cause it actually gives you a greater chance of developing artritis.

I found 3 ticks on me once. I guess I got lucky. Hope you get better.

acristickid wrote:
I found 3 ticks on me once. I guess I got lucky. Hope you get better.

Chances are if you "Found" three ticks on you they were not the right kind of ticks to carry Lymes disease.

Wood ticks are the larger ones and not a carrier.

Deer ticks are smaller ones (about the size of a head of a pin) they are the ones that carry lymes disease.

Paul,
Sorry to hear about this.
I have had ticks in the past -- two scary stories.
First, I woke up in the middle of the night to relieve myself and saw a mole I haven't noticed before. I started picking at it and it sprung legs. Needless to say, I freaked and think I flung it in the toilet.
Second, I had one on the underside of my leg. It couldn't find a good attatchment site and my jeans kept rubbing it making it adjatated. It chewed this quarter sized area till this blood clot formed just under my skin. When I found the tick, I pulled it too quickly and its head got stuck in me. I cut the rest out with an xacto knife.
Not fun.

Back