Loyalhanna fly only delay harvest advice

Steeltrap

Steeltrap

Does anyone have a suggestion of what to use (fly types) on this stream? Today it was low and clear. Fish in there but I tossed out several nymphs, some crickets and even in desperation....I tossed out the "red worm". Only had the small one's rise to the black cricket. No takers.

Advice?

I'm assuming the cool nites have the water temperature down to fish friendly levels. In that case, I'd start early, before the sun got on the water and fish an ant, beetle or inch worm in all the likely looking spots. I'd expect to do better plopping the beetle in some broken water and I would also fish all three wet if the fish refused to rise.

I'd likely do this on almost any freestoner this time of year, btw.

Thanks DaveS. I failed to mention that I didn't get out until 11:00 and it was warming up. There were a few rising at that time, but for something small and just under the surface. The riser's ignored my cricket's. (Tossed black cricket and a separate all green cricket)

I'll take your advice and get my lazy arse outta bed and be on the stream before sunrise.

My advice is not to fish there. Water is likely too low and probably borderline as far as temps go. If you live in Harrison City, its not much further to fish the yough where there is abundant cold water.

Good suggestion. I wasn't even thinking of water temp's. I didn't use waders last week and the water was on the warm side. I guess the trout are just in survival mode.

I wouldn't fish loyalhanna now but I believe there is way better water outside the DHALO to fish, especially upstream

I wouldn't waste my time. That place is a dump anymore. It used to be a nice, quiet place to catch a couple fish throughout most of the year but that trophy trout program really trashed it up. All the stream improvements need fixed too. It's all silted in and some have been completely blown out. It was a lot different place to fish 10-15 years ago.

If you really are bent on fishing there and the fish are rising to something in the film, try midging. I used to do good with a small sz 18 zebra midge or emerger under a dry fly with a long leader, light tippet. Most likely the fish you see are midging or picking off terrestrials. There's not much else of any significance insect wise in that creek.

Back