Lower Susky - Lapidum/ Port Deposit area ?

geebee

geebee

Hi Fellas,

I was wondering if its possible to wade much in the above areas, either along the shore or out into the middle.

looking at bing and google maps, there looks to be some very fishy spots south of both boat launches - on the Lapidum/ rocks Run side can i walk down to I-95 for example, where just above I-95 and below Herring Run looks to be some submerged vegetation that screams staging fish to me on a falling tide and low incoming if the water is cool.

I was thinking of for shad and stripers and using either my #7 switch rod or my SH 909.

geebee, i've never tried to wade below lapidum but i fish down there often in the spring during the shad/striper run and have a pretty good idea of what's going on the in the area. I would advise not wading that area as everywhere else down has super treacherous shorelines. A kayak might be better or you might want to try to scout it out a little in low water. The water there rises rapidly due to the dam (although that far down this is less of an issue), the current can be extremely strong and there are often steep drops, big rocks, ledges, etc. Even in a kayak you have to be very careful.

Geebee if your looking to do some two handed stuff id be interested in getting out. Just picked up a 6 wt spey. my intention were to try swinging flies for stripers and shad in the schuylkill and delaware. Gonna run up to salmon in the spring.

Also looking to fish the rivers more this spring for shad and stripers. Have a 6wt switch and got a nice deal on a 14fter off ebay that should be here soon.

i just got back from vacation.

thanks guys...

icy - "the current can be extremely strong and there are often steep drops, big rocks, ledges, etc " - that sounds perfect for large stripers, a bit like the Cape Cod Canal....

i'm guessing my 1309 spey rod from the shore would be a better bet than the switch rod then ?

Marc - give me a shout when you go, i'll definitely be interested.

cheers

Mark.

Back