Lower Jordan Ck: hatches now

M

Mike

I normally wouldn’t write about this because most Lehigh Valley fly anglers would not be interested in the lower Jordan in Jordan Park, Allentown or the area slightly upstream toward the county park. Given the stay close to home circumstances that now face us, I thought that I would alert them that caddis are hatching in the morning, starting around 8:30 AM with heavy surface feeding activity in pools downstream from riffles. Yesterday, fish were continuing to rise at 1 PM, so there is extended activity. In the evenings within an hour of dark there has been good surface feeding activity for what I can only assume are midges. This has gone on for a week. The fish are generally rising in areas (habitats) where other anglers are not fishing, so fly anglers would probably not run into any difficulties fishing the hatches.

The primary competition is from the local bald eagle, a few resident common mergansers, and the ever present great blue herons. Not to worry though, the stream had been stocked three weeks prior to opening day and the fish became well spread out. It then received its two inseason stockings this week. The stream is carrying an exceptional number of fish.

Back