Lost Rod Tip - Big Spring

Jay_H

Jay_H

I lost the tip section to my Orvis Clearwater. I believe it was near the ditch section of Big Spring. If anyone found it I’d happily meet you somewhere in the Cumberland Valley.

Thanks.

I hope you get it back somehow. If I'm not actually fishing, my rod is always kept in my rod tube. Both going to, and leaving the stream. Always.

Not quite sure how I lost it. Broke down the rod at the truck bed as I usually do, was pretty sure I put it back in the tube. Went to fish yesterday and it was gone….☹️. Was organizing my vest this afternoon and noticed my license was gone off the back of my vest…not a huge deal, but still.

Orvis will send you a new one for 65 bucks.

Not quite sure how I lost it. Broke down the rod at the truck bed as I usually do, was pretty sure I put it back in the tube. Went to fish yesterday and it was gone….☹️. Was organizing my vest this afternoon and noticed my license was gone off the back of my vest…not a huge deal, but still.
When it rains, it pours. :(
Since you don't have to display your license, I keep mine clipped to the inside of one of the bigger pockets of my vest. It can't get lost that way.

Reactions: CRB
Yo Jay - sorry to hear that. I have a good pal who hangs out there and I sent him a note to look for the tip.

Even though you no longer have to display your license in PA, I haven't displayed one since I watched mine floating down the Bushkill Creek at Resica more than 20 years ago.

Since that time I've been asked to see it once...

The only preventative suggestion I can offer if you lost the rod tip back at your vehicle while breaking it down is to always put your rod away FIRST without distraction before doing ANYTHING else.

If you have a black bed liner you also may want to buy a crappy light colored door mat to lay down in your truck bed to offer a little contrast from the rod blank color.

I hope you find your rod tip.

I live a few minutes from Big Spring,. I'll take a ride today to see if I can find it.

Losing rod tips must be somewhat common based upon the frequency that it’s reported here. Two yrs ago I found one at night on a dirt road leading to a popular NC Pa creek. We had waited until three anglers left in two trucks as it got dark before we walked down the steep hill that they had driven up. I didn’t see the rod tip on the way down, but with my light on at the end of the night I spotted it when walking uphill. Maybe it had slipped under a bent tail-gate. I didn’t know what to do with it so I walked 30 yds downhill and stuck it vertically in the mud at the edge turn-about, hoping it could be found without being run over.

If I fished with an expensive rod, losing the tip would probably happen to me, but since my rod is a cheap glass one from the early 1960’s, it will probably never happen. I can wear older dress pants for years, but get me a new pair and I’ll spill gravy on them the first time they’re worn. 😉 And so it goes.

Hope the rod tip is returned in some way by some honest person. Some still exist.

Last edited:
I lost the tip section to my Orvis Clearwater. I believe it was near the ditch section of Big Spring. If anyone found it I’d happily meet you somewhere in the Cumberland Valley.

Thanks.
I walked the parking lot at the Ditch this morning. Unfortunately I did not find your rod tip!

I walked the parking lot at the Ditch this morning. Unfortunately I did not find your rod tip!
Thank you for checking. It truly is much appreciated.

Not quite sure how I lost it. Broke down the rod at the truck bed as I usually do, was pretty sure I put it back in the tube. Went to fish yesterday and it was gone….☹️. Was organizing my vest this afternoon and noticed my license was gone off the back of my vest…not a huge deal, but still
The disappearance of a rod tip and fishing license simultaneously seems perhaps a bit much to attribute to coincidence. Is it possible that someone close to you felt you were spending too much time fishing?

Regardless, I hope you get it back. If not, I believe Orvis can get you taken care of pretty quickly.

The disappearance of a rod tip and fishing license simultaneously seems perhaps a bit much to attribute to coincidence. Is it possible that someone close to you felt you were spending too much time fishing?

Regardless, I hope you get it back. If not, I believe Orvis can get you taken care of pretty quickly.
That’s good. Usually my better half is okay with how much time I spend fishing….but then again, Valentine’s Day is coming.

Quite the imagination. I just can't fathom a caring family member/friend putting someone through the "not knowing" though. To a FF, that would be cruel and unusual punishment. :)

Back