Lost money found in Bald Eagle State Park ($63,000)

Acristickid

Acristickid

Police try to find owner of $63,000 left in state park

May 1, 2015

HOWARD, Pa. — State police are investigating an unusual sight at a scenic state park in Central Pennsylvania: a bag containing $63,000.

Police said the moldy bills were found in a plastic bag Saturday by a park visitor who was walking along the Skyline Drive Trail in Bald Eagle State Park, about 90 miles northwest of Harrisburg.

Police said there was paperwork found near the money, apparently listing the name of the woman who owns the money and other information police believe will help them identify her.

Police plan to put the money somewhere safe while they continue to try to contact that woman. They said she reported the money missing nearly a year ago, but lives out of state and didn’t leave any contact information.

Post gazette article on lost money

That's alot to take on a hike!!!

acristickid wrote:
Police try to find owner of $63,000 left in state park

May 1, 2015

HOWARD, Pa. — State police are investigating an unusual sight at a scenic state park in Central Pennsylvania: a bag containing $63,000.

Police said the moldy bills were found in a plastic bag Saturday by a park visitor who was walking along the Skyline Drive Trail in Bald Eagle State Park, about 90 miles northwest of Harrisburg.

Police said there was paperwork found near the money, apparently listing the name of the woman who owns the money and other information police believe will help them identify her.

Police plan to put the money somewhere safe while they continue to try to contact that woman. They said she reported the money missing nearly a year ago, but lives out of state and didn’t leave any contact information.

Post gazette article on lost money

That's alot to take on a hike!!!

I like to be prepared.

smells like drug money and not trout hiking money.

I live near by...heard it was right out in the open. I am guessing someone just recently put the money in that location. This is really fishy but not from a fishing perspective!

Nothing strange here. I often carry enough cash to buy a small country when I'm going fishing.

You can never tell when a 1494 D Pflueger Medalist will show up on ebay...

A drug dealer would never throw money in a creek. I say the women is off her rocker nuts.

If I found that amount of money in cash in the woods, the headline would probably read: "$23,000 Found in Park" :cool:

Reminds me of an auctioneer in Mt. Pleasant. Jake Zelmore would start an auction by saying, " Before we start this sale, my staff has informed me that we have found a large amount of cash rolled up in a rubber band, I have your rubber band."

Oh, that's rich... `~

I cannot predict what I would do.....I have not been put in those circumstances....

My mind tells me to do the right thing and turn in the full amount and keep a clear conscience, at the same time says use the money to pay off bills and feel guilty of theft, and why not "the world is all about what's in it for me".

The more I think about it, the more I wonder how much more was found.

The money and circumstances as related suggest the money had ill-gotten origins. That should help soothe your conscience.

JackM wrote:
If I found that amount of money in cash in the woods, the headline would probably read: "$23,000 Found in Park" :cool:

Wait. I think I lost $163,000 there two years ago when I stayed at the Nature Lodge.

Had planned on a very extended stay.

JackM wrote:
The money and circumstances as related suggest the money had ill-gotten origins. That should help soothe your conscience.
I agree with this thinking. Nobody who earned that kind of cash honestly would allow it to end up in such a place. No way.

I agree as well, but still wouldn't steal it. It would be tempting though.

I find a ten spot on the sidewalk and nobody around, I'm just sticking it in my pocket. I find a bag of cash, I'm likely turning it in even if it means I could retire a year earlier.

Don't the police turn it over to the finder after a certain period of time unclaimed?

No damage to conscience there.

Back