Lost fly box on Penns 4/23

L

lycoflyfisher

I made the rookie mistake of not zipping my sling pack after my final fly change yesterday and lost my nymph box. I was near Swift Run, after realizing it was gone an angler downstream saw it float past him, but he was unable to catch up to it.

It's a single sided waterproof box, clear plastic with green foam. It has Risen flyfishing on the cover. It has a bunch of pheasant tail and hares ear patterns, some tied with lively legs, March brown nymps, scuds and some soft hackles on the top row.

If you or someone you know found/ finds it, I would gladly pay for return shipping. Or drive to meet in Central Pa.

Thanks!

I made the rookie mistake of not zipping my sling pack after my final fly change yesterday and lost my nymph box. I was near Swift Run, after realizing it was gone an angler downstream saw it float past him, but he was unable to catch up to it.

It's a single sided waterproof box, clear plastic with green foam. It has Risen flyfishing on the cover. It has a bunch of pheasant tail and hares ear patterns, some tied with lively legs, March brown nymps, scuds and some soft hackles on the top row.

If you or someone you know found/ finds it, I would gladly pay for return shipping. Or drive to meet in Central Pa.

Thanks!
Ouch, that stings. I hope it gets returned. If not I'll donate some nymphs to you if you PM me your address. Maybe we could all pitch in and mail you 5-10 ties. You'd have a full box again in no time..

A box full of tied flies is a series investment in time and money.

Ouch, that stings. I hope it gets returned. If not I'll donate some nymphs to you if you PM me your address. Maybe we could all pitch in and mail you 5-10 ties. You'd have a full box again in no time..

I would send some flies too, that sucks I am sorry man it has happened to me before.

I feel your pain. You either had a lot of $$$ in purchased flies or a lot of time tying up that box. Life has taught me to get a little creative on my fly boxes. Just a suggestion....maybe this won't work well for you....maybe it will work for others.

I drilled a small hole in the corner of my fly boxes...then (I used bow fishing line) ran through the cord...tied a triple knot...the other side tied a loop knot....and I hook the loops to a retractable lanyard. When (not if) my fumble fingers occur....the setup saves the box from floating away!! FWIW

XsdxvyUh.jpg
aEy7YwEh.jpg

I can donate a half-dozen

I have met so many good people off of this forum....and ya'll just keep coming through.

The world is better when people are generous.

Thank you all for your kind generosity, this forum is a great place! I am still holding out hope that I hear about someone finding the box, I gave Bruce Fisher a heads up as well. The angler who saw it claimed it was floating like a cork, so it could be in the Susquehanna by now!

The flies were all tied by me and is certainly disappointing to lose, but I learned a lesson and hopefully will not lose another box in my angling career. I like the lanyard idea from steel trap!

Let's give it a few more days incase it turns up.

I lost a box last year of my own ties. It hurts. Reminds me that I need to both add address labels to my boxes and try the lanyard thing.

I'm a klutz so I have been using zingers since the original Orvis versions (anyone remember these? ;) ):

Orvis Zinger

However it's not practical to tether everything with a zinger so I only use one for irreplaceable stuff likely to fall out of a pocket or pouch.

However to help with fumbling and dropping something like a cigar cutter, hook sharpener or other gadgets, I made a BUNCH of short 4"- 5" loop "lanyards" out of 2 -3 mm red reflective utility cord and aluminum crimp sleeves.

I attach one of these lanyards to loose gadgets and make sure I have a finger or two through the lanyard loop when I use it so I can't drop the gadget in the drink. The reflective cord makes it easy to find one in the dark IF I lose something...

So far, nothing dropped since I adopted this system. :)

lyco, I too would be glad to donate a half dozen or so if you decide to take up the offers.

I would be happy to send over a dozen or so flies. Let me know if we get around to doing this.

Lyco, on the Pa Facebook page, someone found a fly box on Penns. he's asking the type of box and what's in it and he will send it.

I saw that and messaged him, not a match.... the box he found is black.

I was holding out hope it would turn up, but it's been 2 weeks and with the higher flows it probably ended up in the river if it wasn't found.

I'm not one to ask for help or charity, but the offers to send some flies my way is sincerely appreciated. I will reach to folks who offered via pm. Hope to get to return the favor someday!

Back