Lost backpack on Penns

• Thread starter JakesLeakyWaders
  • Start date
JakesLeakyWaders

JakesLeakyWaders

Fished Penns on Friday September 29th and layed my camo hunting pack down below swift run at Poe Paddy. I forgot to grab it on the way out. Backpack had some jackets and other small personal items in it. I went back before dark and it was gone. Just wondering if anyone on here found it. At least one item in it was personally embroidered. I was fishing with my wife for our anniversary.

Sorry to hear that. I was there Saturday evening for a bit. Did you check the cabins? It seems logical that someone who found it may have put it on the porch at the Swift run cabin... or the cabin on the way in which was occupied, at least on Saturday evening. I didn't see anything but wasn't looking.

Other than that, a call to the ranger station may be worth a shot in case someone turned it in to a ranger.

Hope you get it back.

Fished Penns on Friday September 29th and layed my camo hunting pack down below swift run at Poe Paddy. I forgot to grab it on the way out. Backpack had some jackets and other small personal items in it. I went back before dark and it was gone. Just wondering if anyone on here found it. At least one item in it was personally embroidered. I was fishing with my wife for our anniversary.
I would contact the TCO fly shop in State College If you haven’t already done that and ask if anybody reported finding your backpack. It’s probably a long drive back there for you, but you might also consider putting up some posters near where you were parked and/or lost it.

As an aside, and I’m guilty of not always doing this myself, but it’s a good idea to mark all of our fishing gear, including fly rods, reels, vests, fly boxes, etc. with our name and telephone number in case these items get lost, which many invariably do from time to time.

Many years ago I lost a very expensive bamboo rod and reel by leaving it on top of the car one night at the tunnel parking area at Poe Paddy. I drove all the way back to State College before I remembered it, and by then it was too late. 30 years ago I lost a Sage SP rod and Abel reel by doing the same thing on the West Branch of the Delaware. You would think I’d have been smart enough by then to follow my own advice. As they say in these parts, some of us get too soon old and too late smart.

I would contact the TCO fly shop in State College If you haven’t already done that and ask if anybody reported finding your backpack. It’s probably a long drive back there for you, but you might also consider putting up some posters near where you were parked and/or lost it.

As an aside, and I’m guilty of not always doing this myself, but it’s a good idea to mark all of our fishing gear, including fly rods, reels, vests, fly boxes, etc. with our name and telephone number in case these items get lost, which many invariably do from time to time.

Many years ago I lost a very expensive bamboo rod and reel by leaving it on top of the car one night at the tunnel parking area at Poe Paddy. I drove all the way back to State College before I remembered it, and by then it was too late. 30 years ago I lost a Sage SP rod and Abel reel by doing the same thing on the West Branch of the Delaware. You would think I’d have been smart enough by then to follow my own advice. As they say in these parts, some of us get too soon old and too late smart.
I’d add the feathered hook to this, although Jonas will probably bust your balls for leaving it there to begin with. They definitely have more local connections that might have seen or found something.

What kind of bamboo did you lose? I probably wasn’t alive yet so I definitely didn’t find it but just wanted to share in your agony.

What kind of bamboo did you lose? I probably wasn’t alive yet so I definitely didn’t find it but just wanted to share in your agony.
It was an EF Payne rod.

I have seen items left at the sign at the bridge. I'll try to take a ride out this weekend and look. (I am close to Poe Paddy)

A local could start a tackle shop by just checking the parking lots daily with the amount of gear left on the top of cars around Penns.

Yep, I find wader belts, carpet squares and the occasional rod (someone always comes back for those). We are good for finding one or two rods a year that fall off the tops of vehicles.

There are a few unofficial "found" piles around me. People also leave trash there they pull out of the creek and we take care of that.

Hope you get your stuff. How are the leaves in the water?

Leaves were not an issue at all on Saturday evening. I suspect that will change by next weekend at the latest.

Looks like it. Really would've like my Scheels Antler river jacket and my personalized trainer of the quarter rain shell back. Oh well, it was good trip.

2023 0929 11272500

Attachments

• 2023_0929_12331300-01.jpeg
    2023_0929_12331300-01.jpeg
    157 KB · Views: 49
  • 2023_1001_11490300-01.jpeg
    2023_1001_11490300-01.jpeg
    214.8 KB · Views: 47
Back