Lost a friend and fellow fisherman

GenCon

GenCon

In 1995 I was looking for a new Tarpon guide. Someone gave me the name of a fellow that fished out of Islamorada. His name was Rick Miller. I had never heard of him. I called him and booked him for 5 days. We had a great time fishing. I also caught a fair amount of fish. Over the years we fished together alot. I fished 5 tarpon tournaments with him. Eventually we got tired of doing that. So then when ever I could go we just fished and fished hard.
I had a lot of first with Rick. I hooked and fought the biggest Tarpon I have ever seen. It was a huge fish pushing 200 lbs.
I did not land it but it is quite the memory. I caught my first and only grand slam with Rick. A grand slam is a tarpon a permit and a bonefish the same day.
Over the years I caught tons of fish with Rick. Lots and lots of Tarpon. More bonefish than I could count. A fair amount of snook and redfish as well.
I have not gone to the Keys in several years. Once the economy crashed so did my business for a while. I had a great year in 2015 so I called Rick and booked him for 5 days this coming June. We were both really excited to fish together again.
Yesterday Ricks wife Lori called me with some devastating news. Rick had passed away from a sudden heart attack. I have been kind of numb since.
Rick was a great guy, husband and father and of course a guide. I will miss him.
This is a pic of Rick and I in the back country with a nice little redfish.

Rest in peace Rick.

GenCon

Attachments

• Rick and me.JPG
    Rick and me.JPG
    58.6 KB · Views: 7
I'm truly, truly sorry. Friends like that are seldom found.

Sorry to hear this Mike, Always a heavy hit.

Very sorry to hear that Gencon. He seems to be a very great man and will surely be missed by many.

Condolences to you and his family.
Some guides can, and often do, become good friends with anglers who started out as clients.

I'll be down in Islamorada this weekend and will make some casts in Rick's memory.

Mike,

I'm so sorry to hear of this tragic news. My thoughts and prayers will be with you and Rick's family in this time of loss. God bless.

Mike - I was sorry to read this. Always hurts to lose a friend.

Thanks for all you kind words guys.

GenCon

Im sorry for your loss, my friend. From the stories you've shared, he was an awesome friend and guide. Prayers for you and his family.

Sincere condolences to both you and his family.

Sorry to hear of your loss

Thanks everyone. I spoke yesterday with one of Ricks best friends.
He also happens to be a guide. He asked when was booked with Rick.
He actually had the same time open in his schedule. So I booked him. The odds of that happening are slim to none. His name is Robert Kline. Robert said it must be for a reason. I agree.
'
GenCon

Nice tribute to your ff friend,Mike.Sorry for your loss.
Last year at this time I also lost a close fishing buddy........it's like losing a piece of your heart

My condolences as well and hoping you find as good of a friend in Robert. Sounds likely.

Thanks everyone,

GenCon

Hey Mike! I just found this thread. So sorry for your loss! We were just talking about your friend and the fishing. Cherish the good times!

Back