Loose ferrel on glass rod

InCahoots

InCahoots

I have a new three piece glass rod that casts great when I can keep it all together. But after a few casts the last two sections are in the stream while I'm left holding the butt section. Not good! I don't want to apply any more force or I might do damage. Anyone else ever have this problem? Best idea yet is black electrical tape. Welcoming any suggestions.

I have seen a friend utilize duck tape on a spey rod.

You could also try waxing them.
My dad would put a piece of cellophane around the male to tighten them up when they got loose. Of course he was a smoker and the cigarette packs were cover with cellophane.

Since its new, ask for a refund.

It's a manufacturing flaw IMHO.

I purchased the rod in April from a Northcentral PA rod maker. The varnish is flawless looking, perhaps too smooth. I took it back a month later and he rubbed the male end with 0000 steel wool to roughen the surface a bit. I guess this means another trip unless I find an easier fix.

Give the builder a call. He may have an easy solution for you. That way, you won't risk his supporting the rod's warranty ( if there is
one ) with advice that HE wouldn't give. He should know what he built.

You should have 1/2" or so of male ferrule sticking out. Jam it on too much and you'll crack the female. If it connects without much space the male ferrule showing, your guy ground off too much or you're raping the poor thing.

So, then...

Clean the female end out with a qtip and some mild soap.
Clean the male end with a paper towel and the same mild soap.
Let dry.
Apply nose grease.

If you feel the need for a _very_ light coating of wax, you could go there too. I'd barely wipe it on and then use your fingers to rub it in and remove excess. Nose grease is where to start.

edit: The above applies to glass (or graphite for people who find this thread in the future) ferrules. If they're metal, then I think you're boned.

Thanks guys for your suggestions. I guess I'm not the only one to experience this problem. The strange thing is the male end extends
2 3/4" into the second section before meeting any resistance. Will call maker.

Is it a tip-over-butt ferrule?

There it is. I was just hanging on waiting for nose grease to be mentioned. Works every time.

If the ferrules are spigots, meaning there is a gap between sections when you join the rod, the male portion is not seating properly, most likely because the ferrule wasn't fitted like it is SUPPOSED to be.

A properly fitted spigot or even a built-in sleeve-over ferrule should be tapered to match the inside of the female portion so it has a lot of contact between the male & female portions, (yea I know), not unlike a nickel silver ferrule on a bamboo rod. That surface contact should be sufficient to keep the sections together without using wax, tape or anything else.

Good fit comes from good design and proper fitting by the blank maker if they furnish a ferruled blank, or by the builder if they don't. If the ferrule isn't fitted properly, it will never stay together for very long before getting loose. "Roughing it up" with steel wool is far from a proper repair or solution and to be honest, makes it look to me like the builder is clueless about ferrule fit.

Temporary solutions like tape may work or a tacky wax like beeswax may help but keep in mind wax will hold grit and grit will accelerate wear so you could end up making it worse if the fit is really lousy. Any type of oil will only make it slippery and prone to get loose faster.

If I was you, I'd go back to the builder and ask for a proper repair. If the builder didn't ferrule the rod, it may just be a crummy ferrule from the blank maker that is beyond repair. In that case, I'd ask for a refund or another rod.

FWIW - I have a lot of rods with spigot ferrules and I don't wax any of them. For the most part they never come loose even after a whole day of fishing. I do wax my sleeve-over ferruled rods but they honestly don't need the wax either.

If it is one of those mustard colored ones you may have to fit the male to the female by judicious sanding with 600 grit paper. Of course I built one myself and only paid $50 for the blank so I didn't mind working on it.

Back