Loons UV Knot Sense

fadeaway263

fadeaway263

The only time this product has been mentioned was in the Beginners Forum discussing leaders. I was thinking of putting a dab on my clinch knot after I tie on a fly. Any thoughts on this? My clinch knot is not always 100% reliable.

Attachments

• uvknotsense1LG.jpg
    uvknotsense1LG.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 7
I used this on all my knots when I was getting my outfits rigged for our salmon trip last fall (leader to swivel, swivel to tippet, tippet to fly). I don't think I kept up with applying it to all the fly knots once the serious fishing actually started.

I don't see any downside to using it, other than the 30 seconds it adds to tying on a fly.

Fade, I can't see any reason to use this stuff for its intended use. It is tons of fun and quite versatile in tying applications, making nice scud shell backs, etc.

I believe the knot problem itself should be resolved versus looking for additional product. Additionally, having used the knot sense on a lot of flies while tying, I don't think it would add any substantial strength to the knot. It's too soft and gummy and does not really harden. I do think it would nice to apply to hand tied leaders to protect the guides and make life easier.

A lighter and a hot glue stick work just fine for that, actually. Heat tip, smoosh into place, smooth with fingers.

gfen wrote:

A lighter and a hot glue stick work just fine for that, actually. Heat tip, smoosh into place, smooth with fingers.

Assuming there was no damage from adding a heated product to your tippet material, do you think that will add strength to a tippet?

No, but I also don't think the UV Knot Sense makes jack squat, either.

You wanted to make it go through the guides easier, I told yo how to do it for 20c. You don't need to make it hot, it doesn't take much to make it pliable.

I did this for some time, actually, I gave up because after enough casting it'll start to fall apart anyways.

just stick the knot in your mouth or drool on it before pulling knot tight.

Fade--are you tying the improved clinch? And as pete so elequently noted, are you wetting the tippet to prevent friction damage?

On the newer mono's and fluorocarbon lines you should leave a slight tag when trimming for slippage.

sandfly wrote:
On the newer mono's and fluorocarbon lines you should leave a slight tag when trimming for slippage.

I was taught to clip the tag end as close to the fly as possible. I thought tag ends might cause a fish to reject the fly.

tag end only needs to be - that long,but if there is even a fraction of slip with anything shorter your knot will unravel-moisten before tightening to reduce friction heat and then take finger nails to hold top of knot,pull on running line gently to compress knot,pull on tag line with teeth,trim-should never unravel and be 100 % strong if tightened properly-if not only about 50%.
Tied many thousands,never had knot fail AFTER I learned to tighten properly.

I remember someone telling me at the Jam, but I can not remember who, that you can rub the knots with alcohol to 'cure' them and make them hard. Would this have any affect on the leader material? Anyone ever try this?

wsender wrote:
I remember someone telling me at the Jam, but I can not remember who, that you can rub the knots with alcohol to 'cure' them and make them hard. Would this have any affect on the leader material? Anyone ever try this?

That was Jay. He rubs everything with alcohol and drinks what's left over.

I was taught to clip the tag end as close to the fly as possible. I thought tag ends might cause a fish to reject the fly.

garbage...
there is the other end of the knot with a line coming out of it

try tying a polomar knot then... really easy to tie and even stronger! Tie your knots properly and there is no need. Hot glue stick is useless, the uv knot sense is nice when you use it with the uv light but only really for protecting things like thread. I use it when I tie in loops to my fly line... kevlar thread, many wraps with a protective coating.

tying the knot right will be stronger and when you learn it will take less then 30 seconds!

Recently switched from an improved clinch to a Eugene Bend Knot. Statistically it has a higher breaking strength and I have found it much easier to tie. There is even a "click" when you tighten the knot so you know it was tied correctly.

Might want to give that a try instead of carrying around another tube of stuff.

Recently switched from an improved clinch to a Eugene Bend Knot. Statistically it has a higher breaking strength and I have found it much easier to tie. There is even a "click" when you tighten the knot so you know it was tied correctly.

Might want to give that a try instead of carrying around another tube of stuff.

I used that knot sense on the heads of my flies instead of cement. I works great. A little sticky at times... but is easier to appy than cement.

Back