Loomis Venture

jayL

jayL

Just wanted to give this reel a plug.

I got it for $100 even at Cabela's. I think that's normal price. I put it on my 9wt rod with a 10wt line, and it performs well. I've hooked a few large steelhead, and managed to land one of them with it. It's also gotten the job done for salmon. It's taken a few dunkings, and shown no problems yet. It looks pretty good too.

I foul hooked a giant steelie, and it started to sound like it might seize up. It managed to survive, and has had no problems since. I'm not sure that anything I'm going to catch could fry the damn thing.

71717.jpg

I didn't expect to get loomis quality for under $150 or $175, but I am VERY pleased with this reel. I had a Cabelas CSR that lasted one fish, under the same use, so there's some perspective.

Jay,
I purchased a Venture a few years ago after a Pflueger product failed to stop a large bonefish in the Keys. The Loomis reel has been smoked by a few similar sized bones as well as a couple good sized carp and it has perfomed flawlessly. I am very pleased with mine. I think a lot of FFers overlook this reel, not just because the price seems low, but because it lacks a large arbor.

I also got a loomis (somebody gave me a gander mtn gift card) My venture 3 has landed trout all over western Pa. So far I have no complaints and with a sale going on; under $70 it was a steal

Thank you...I've been recommending this for a while now. For it's price, it is terrific. I've got a 3 wt for my native brookie set up - which means it get slammed on rocks, dropped, and put through many other rigors as I try to find waters where most people don't want to hike to. I've never been easy on my equipment, and this reel has withstood much. It remains as smooth as ever. Good call JayL.

I've got one on my 3wt. and 5wt. for about 3-4 years with no problems. Its a very nice looking and smooth working reel.

The smaller one I got at gander mountain on sale for about 70$ also.

Back