Loomis Reels

B

bam

I picked up the small G-Loomis Venture for my 3 wt a couple weeks ago. I haven't had it on the stream yet, but after loading it with line and playing with it I've noticed its so smooth that it will pick up a little line by just false casting. The reel doesn't click on the way in, only on the way out. I've never thought of it before, but I'm guessing that's why they don't make fly reels as smooth as spinning reels.

I'm wondering if this will be a nusiance on the stream. Does anyone have experience with their reels? The reel itself and drag seem sweet otherwise...

All the reels I currently have are the same way. Someone mentioned this in another thread recently. JayL talks up the Venture pretty good. Likes it a lot apparently. I don't understand potential nuisance thing...I wish my reels didn't click in either direction.

Are you flase casting with out your finger on the line ?

I have never experienced this problem, but I always use my right hand for line management. (I'm a lefty)

Thanks for the comments.

I'm always managing the line with my left hand. I thought that if the reel takes up slack line at my feet my casts would get progressively shorter and shorter if I'm not constantly stripping additional line from the reel.

Back