Looking for Widgeon, Pintail and Teal Flank Feathers

K

kcflyguy

Hello,

Does anyone know where to get flank feathers from these ducks? Im quite new to alot of this and not sure where to get some of these materials. Im also open to any substitutes to these feathers that may be more readily available.

Thanks,
KCF

kc,
Besides the obvious answer to find a friend who hunts ducks.....I'd give your local fly shop a call. I rarely tie flies that require very specific natural materials so I'm really not familiar with these particular feathers and can't recommend a substitute. Mallard flank is widely used and widely available but other waterfowl species, not so much so.

I would try local first as well, but if you don't have any luck,
check www.feathersmc.com
John usually has them.

Thanks , Turkey PM sent

A quick google tells me "mallard," "mallard," and "mallard" for anything but fancy hang on the wall flies.

That said, befriend a hunter.

You'll have to make two trips to Presque Isle Bay - one in the early season for the teal (you'll get shots at full plume drake woodies, too), and one later in the season (just ahead of the first major storm front that brings down the huge flocks of divers) for those big puddle ducks...

Sounds like someone's a hunter. Befriend him and offer him trade!

I know Angler's Pro Shop in Souderton has teal flank feathers. He also does mail order if you're not close by. You could try there.

Back