Looking for veterans in western PA who want to learn to fly fish

ryguyfi

ryguyfi

I've been working on this for a few months now and am super excited it has all worked out. I'm helping to sponsor a fly fishing program to help local veterans learn to fly fish. This is sponsored and funded by Wounded Warriors, Outdoor Immersion and Risen Fly. There will be 3 classes for them to go through and 1-2 trips a year. They will learn fly tying, fly fishing basics, and fly casting. This is fully funded by the sponsors and upon completion of the class(s) they will receive a fly tying kit and a full rod and reel package with a box of flies, vest and accessories.

The classes will be held in the Beaver/Allegheny County area starting on January 30th. The only thing I'm looking for now is for some veterans themselves to attend. We would like to have people who have never fly fished before.

To be eligible they need to be a post 9/11 veteran, be 10% connected, and eligible for VA benefits.

If you know of anyone that might be interested have them get in touch with me by emailing ryan@risenfly.com and I'll get them details on the classes.

Good job. The VA should have a list of eligibles to whom you might be able to disseminate info. Incidentally, I only qualify under the "10% connected" category.

Thanks Jack. We want it to be small and hands on as we only have a few people teaching and helping so far. So maybe 8-12 in the class. If it grows from there in future classes we may reach out to them. Just posted this to a few places in the last hour and already have a few people interested. Once they complete the class we are looking to provide a local trout trip and a salmon/steelhead trip in the Fall.

Have you considered being a volunteer for PHWFF? They specialize in all aspects of fly fishing with wounded vets. Pa has lots of programs you could help with.

I will send this info my Father's way....he is a Vietnam veteran residing in Beaver County. He has dabbled in fly fishing but needs a new hobby post-retirement. Any way you can include older veterans within the program?

Thanks for the few people who got in touch. We are still looking for a few vets. This is a program we are developing locally but have teamed up with Wounded Warriors. First class is January 30th.

Back