lOOKING FOR TYING EQUIPMENT

noclue

noclue

Don't know if this belongs here or in the gear or swap section?

Loooking to try tying my own flies. Can anyone recommend good starter equipment for a beginner? Looking on ebay but afraid of over paying on something I'm not knowledgable on. Thanks!!

Skip kits.
Buy materials for a few flies you'll want to tie. Add more when you feel the urge.
You don't need an expensive vise, any old model will do.
I never turn my true rotary vise, YMMV.
Dr. Slick makes great scissors, but use a pair of craft scissors to cut wire, wool, and other heavy goods and perserve your Dr. Slicks.
A ceramic bobbin isn't a luxury.
$8 for a Materelli whip finisher is well invested, but you can learn to do it with youf fingers.

I just bought my dad the cabelas standerd tying kit it has the vise and all the tools you need to get started for 30 bucks. I tied a few flies on it and it works great

This debate is similar to the type of beginner rod/reel setup. Some will say spend good money on a rod, less on the reel but buy something good, others will say go cheap and upgrade if you're into it.

You can get a starter set that will work, but you don't get good quality as if you bought seperately. The materials are typically of lackluster quality. I had a cheapie set that my father bought for me 10 years or so ago that has held up very well and has allowed me hours of enjoyment. I recently upgraded to a better vice and am happy I did, but the old outfit served me well.

As far as materials go, you can use the ones they give you to practice and not feel bad about throwing them away or losing them. Replace with quality materials from your local fly shop as needed. Also, most shops have tying classes in the winter, you should sign up for one of those if you're still with it. They're great fun and a good way to meet new people with tying and fly fishing interest. I'm sure the Philly contingency can recommend which shop is in your area.

You can also look around on some of the flytying/flyfishing websites as guys often sell off materials and tying equipment if you don't want to buy brand new.

what flies do you use most?

Check out the Griffin vises and tools, they make some lower end vises which are still very good quality. I started out with a kit and now only use the original bobbin for lead and the cheap scissors for cutting lead and wire.
Dr. Slick was also a good recommendation. They did have a series of scissors named ECO (Economy) which were decent quality for the price.

ebay and your local craft store has some good deals on fly fishing stuff

I echo gfen's whip finish thoughts.

Before you drive yourself crazy with head cement, learn the whip finish. I never used a whip finish tool, it may be worth the investment, because the whip finish with your hands is just one of those things that comes to you eventually, and when you try to describe it to someone it is just impossible. Whip finish is how you complete the tying process so the whole creation doesn't unravel.

Look on youtube for a video demonstration of it.

For nymphs, globs of head cement doesn't really matter, but for dry flies it does, especially small ones. And, there is nothing worse than having feeding fish in front of you and cleaning out glued over hook eyes. Uh, not sure how far along you are in the process, but you either head cement the tie, whip finish it, or do both to complete the tie.

Don' t go buying expensive hackles. Deer hair, peacock, cheap dubbing, marabou, and CDC are the best bets for simple ties that will catch loads of fish. CDC feathers are tiny duck plummage that is great for tying emergers, and nymphs.

And, perhaps, most importantly, keep in mind that a creation just needs to catch fish, it doesn't need to look like what you see in the fly shop boxes.

for the vise, I'd look at a big box store that has returns, get the vise home and see if it can simply hold a hook extremely well. If it can't, return the kit. you want to get your hands on the vise, that is one thing you shouldn't buy sight unseen, unless you know it is from a quality seller.

Shakey, I bounce back and forth from nymphs to dry flies mostly.
I have not yet tried to many wet flies.

check out www.jsflyfishing.com it is a good sight and they sell both real jungel cock eyes and the imitation. The real ones come in a pack of 10 and sell for $8.88 a pack. PLus there hackle seems pretty reasonably priced as well

Back