Looking for some new water

B

bdhoover77

I think next Saturday I am going to check out a new stream. Most of my fishing recently has been on Codorus and the Gunpowder along with a recent trip to Spring Creek. I would welcome any suggestions for streams to give a try in either MD or southern PA.

What stream width range do you prefer?

I guess I’m not really looking to go bluelining this time. I was thinking about Muddy Creek.

That’s a good choice and if you have the time and inclination I would recommend exploring the South Fork of Muddy Creek either in the spring stocked section that should have some holdovers (RT) as well as some wild browns. I recommend the wooded, walk-in portion of the stocked section, which goes from Alum Rock Run confluence downstream to another bridge. It’s about a mile or so.

For the Class A stretch go upstream from AlumRock Run’s confluence, but the first .75 mi isn’t all that great so I would look for a spot above there. This might be a good thing to do after fishing Muddy because you will need to knock on a landowner’s or two three doors to get permission to fish. I recommend doing so with the the idea of getting permission to fish on a future trip unless you are making a day of it anyway. Additionally, Leibs Ck, a formerly stocked stream flows into the South Fork, and it is now Class A and unstocked. Getting landowner permission within the formerly stocked section should be pretty easy. Furthermore, there is plenty of good habitat in the meadows portion of the stream section so fishing it would be pretty easy for a smaller stream.

Leibs is one of those wild trout streams that formerly had a high Class C or a Class B B Brown Trout population so it was shifted to stocking only with RT with the idea that the species shift would possibly allow the wild Brown Trout population become Class A. It did eventually become Class A but I did not evaluate it soon enough to say definitively that the shift to RT stocking was the most likely cause as in some other waters in York Co that were evaluated more quickly after the same shift took place (Codorus Ck, Blymire Rn).

I’m also thinking about checking out the Conococheague. Has anyone fished it recently? Where would you recommend starting out?

Back