Looking for Locations for Stream Bass Fishing Now that Trout Water Temps are Up

MD_Gene

MD_Gene

I am looking to find decent water to fish for bass in and around York. Susqy is an option but looking for others. Thanks

Conewago Creek has decent smallmouth fishing. Numbers are probably down from years ago but there's still some good fishing. Tons of rock bass,panfish, channel cats with a few flathead, walleye, carp and musky mixed in. Although I've heard the "bow fishers" put a hurtin on the carp a few summers ago.
Private property makes finding access tricky at first but ask a few property owners and you will likely gain access, especially if you offer to take a bag of trash with you and don't plan on having a campfire. A kayak will get you around the crick.

Thanks. I have fished the Conewago Special Regs area. I assume that you are not referring to that section. Above it or below it?

Thanks. I have fished the Conewago Special Regs area. I assume that you are not referring to that section. Above it or below it?
Downstream. A good bet is anywhere in York county from East Berlin to the mouth at York Haven. Lots of bridge and road access. Watch for posted signs. Fantastic smallmouth fishing as well as channel and flathead catfish and lots of panfish, occasional walleye or muskie.

Gene,
I'm referring to the area below special regs area. Like Blitzinstripes said anywhere from East Berlin to mouth at York Haven is a pretty good warm water fishery. She might not be the prettiest crick but can be a lot of fun.
Patterns suggestive of small crayfish and large shiners should put you on some fish.
I kayak but you can definitely wade and catch fish. Word of caution: if wading a slow stretch keep an eye on the water for bubbles. There are some nice sized snapping turtles you might not want to accidentally step on.
Good Luck,
The Roofer

Would lower Muddy Creek closer to the Susky be viable? I gotta think it would be. Also thinking lower Codorus closer to the river could be too? I've never fished either, but I do have experience with the Conewago and that's a pretty solid choice.

Would lower Muddy Creek closer to the Susky be viable? I gotta think it would be. Also thinking lower Codorus closer to the river could be too? I've never fished either, but I do have experience with the Conewago and that's a pretty solid choice.
Wild_Trouter, I can speak for Muddy. After doing some exploring, lower Muddy Creek has a very mediocre SMB population. Mainly because there are several natural barriers/rapids in the gorge that prevent fish from moving between Muddy and the Susky. It’s a beautiful area, but access is tough since a significant hike is required to reach the stream from the nearest parking area. Worth a hike for the scenery though, just maybe not for the fish.

Lower Codorus can be good. You can put in a kayak or wade access at Codorus Furnace bridge and work down but I'm not sure where all you can take out at. Beware that just above Codorus Furnace bridge is some pretty rough rapids and large boulders. Lots of small mouth and panfish. Sometimes trout. Codorus through York city also has some decent bass and catfish fishing. Richland avenue is a good access point.

I am looking to find decent water to fish for bass in and around York. Susqy is an option but looking for others. Thanks
"Susqy is an option but looking for others."

Why would you look any further

Back